TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Written Group RP Interest Thread~

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Written Group RP Interest Thread~ Empty Written Group RP Interest Thread~

Post by wondercube Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Hello all, I brought up the subject of a written group RP (where we write a story together, essentially, in which everyone writes from their character's PoV) in the DnD thread, and a few people were interested. Instead of hijacking that thread, I figured it might be best to make a dedicated thread for the topic.

Here are some potential genres/sub-genres I'm interested in:

High Fantasy (like FF9, Dragon Age, Witcher/etc)
Medieval Fantasy (Like GoTs but less gross)
Sci-Fi Fantasy (Like Star Ocean?)
Post-apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy (I actually have a fairly developed setting/world/mythos for this one)
Dystopian Sci-Fi (like Hunger Games, The Giver, F451, etc)
Magical boys/girls (because lolololol - kind of have a world/universe for this already)

Just using those game/book universes as examples, but I'm open to using pre-existing universes with original characters (I'd be down for a Fate/Stay Night or Persona type RP, for instance)

High medieval scifi fantasy dystopian magical boy/girl RP anyone? xD

I'm open to ideas/suggestions! I think this could be a lot of fun though. I'm a couple RPs on Gaia Online atm, and I have time for another casual one.

EDIT: Could be interested in superheroes too, but I've never actually RPed that before. :O

INTERESTED PARTIES
wondercube
pixelscientist
aesta
the themysciran?
nocturama
laurelinde?
aeryl?
ciella
katrien caffeine
ciji

*those with "?" next to their name posted in the thread, but didn't state or were unsure if they wanted to participate.

Last edited by wondercube on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Written Group RP Interest Thread~ Empty Re: Written Group RP Interest Thread~

Post by PixelScientist Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 pm

Count me in as an interested party! I have no particular requests at the moment, but I do request that whatever we choose has ample resources so that I'm able to do a ridiculous and obsessive amount of research on the world.

Also, let me know if you need help in any capacity. I've a bevvy of marginally useful talents from which you can draw.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:01 pm

PixelScientist wrote:Count me in as an interested party! I have no particular requests at the moment, but I do request that whatever we choose has ample resources so that I'm able to do a ridiculous and obsessive amount of research on the world.

Also, let me know if you need help in any capacity. I've a bevvy of marginally useful talents from which you can draw.
Oh man, I will try to make something as detailed as possible! I am only one cube though, so I might have to enlist your help if things get crayyy.

Let's see what people are interested in, and we can go from there! Seeing if my friend outside TMS would be interested in reviving our fairly detailed sci-fi/fantasy universe. Smile
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:12 pm

Sure! Let me know, too, if you'd like graphics or research or anything of the sort done.

We could probably petition the forums overlords for a dedicated section of the forums and put up threads detailing world history, lore, and cultural things. That way, it's all in a single location and people would be able to find everything with ease.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:27 pm

PixelScientist wrote:Sure! Let me know, too, if you'd like graphics or research or anything of the sort done.

We could probably petition the forums overlords for a dedicated section of the forums and put up threads detailing world history, lore, and cultural things. That way, it's all in a single location and people would be able to find everything with ease.
When I've been in/modded RPs in the past, we usually put all the world/universe information in posts on the first page of the In Character (IC) thread (sometimes the OOC thread, it depends) - anything ranging from races, cultures/countries, planets/worlds (for sci-fi), religion(s), traditions (marriage, inheritance, etc), views on gender/sexuality, and all that kind of good stuff.

Basically, my format looks something like this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please excuse all the awful typos and general crap contained in that link, just wanted to provide an example.

As for who we should talk to for a dedicate RP forum... I'm not sure where I'd go for that... D:
Do you know? Would probably be beneficial to have the general RP forum, and then maybe a sub-forum within that dedicate to OOC threads (out of character).
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:55 pm

I love (and highly recommend) Shaman. Super impressed with their world building & organization. I've been absent there for like for a year though. =__='' [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

tl;dr I'd love to be involved in this & will have better thoughts later!
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:24 pm

I prefer formats that are strictly organized. They just scale better as you add more people. For example:

• News and information (subforum)

• Rules
    • Suggestions
    • News 01
    • News 02
    • Etc

• Roleplay resources (subforum)

• Lore (subforum)

• World
      • Races/cultures
      • Organizations
      • Etc

• Character archives (subforum)

• Character template
      • Character 01
      • Character 02
      • Etc

• Roleplay (subforum)

• General location 01 (subforum)

• Permanent location 01
      • Permanent location 02
      • Thread 01
      • Thread 02
      • Etc

• General location 02 (subforum)

• Permanent location 01
      • Permanent location 02
      • Thread 01
      • Thread 02
      • Etc

• Etc

• Out-of-Character discussions (subforum)

• Looking for roleplay
    • Discussion 01
    • Discussion 02
    • etc

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:44 pm

My partner and I actually run a Vampire: The Masquerade play by post forum if anyone was interested >.>
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:56 pm

aesta wrote:I love (and highly recommend) Shaman. Super impressed with their world building & organization. I've been absent there for like for a year though. =__='' [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

tl;dr I'd love to be involved in this & will have better thoughts later!

We would love to have you!
I've never heard of Shaman before. I'll browse through this. It's like a fairy-related on going RP? Navigating the site is taking a little work (reading their rules atm).

PixelScientist wrote:I prefer formats that are strictly organized. They just scale better as you add more people. For example:

Oof, that's a format I've never worked with before. So that would require different forums/sub-forums dedicated to those respective categories? One for lore/world-building, and so on? We'd have to ask the mods to go into some serious overtime to set that up, and it sounds like it would be a lot of separate thread to moderate.  Shocked

All the template and permanent location stuff confuses me. ;A;

I'm used to having an IC thread purely for story and an OOC purely for chat/plotting with the writers. Usually the IC thread will contain all the world/universe lore in the first page or two, and then the story starts directly after that.

And of course a thread to hold character profiles/bios.

It's simple, but it's pretty straight forward (and really the only way I've RPed before, oops). I feel like I would have to take a class to follow your format.  Embarassed

The Themysciran wrote:My partner and I actually run a Vampire: The Masquerade play by post forum if anyone was interested >.>
Would you be able to elaborate? I've never heard of that series(?) before. O:
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturama Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:05 am

wondercube wrote:(I'd be down for a Fate/Stay Night or Persona type RP, for instance)

I'd be soooo down for either. I'm actually hoping to run a tabletop RPG-version of Fate/stay night some time soon (fingers crossed).

Nocturama

rock
dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50 am

wondercube wrote:Oof, that's a format I've never worked with before. So that would require different forums/sub-forums dedicated to those respective categories? One for lore/world-building, and so on? We'd have to ask the mods to go into some serious overtime to set that up, and it sounds like it would be a lot of separate thread to moderate.  :shock:
Pretty much, but aestus has mentioned that there may be an opening specifically for roleplaying moderation. That would make things far easier.

wondercube wrote:All the template and permanent location stuff confuses me. ;A;
It can be a bit confusing if you're not acclimated to the idea. I tend to be very obsessive when it comes to organization, so it's just a process that I find easiest to utilize.

Essentially, it sets up a structure that scales well as more people are added to the roleplay. It's far more organization than is needed if you only have a dozen or so players, but as more people join it becomes far easier to identify each thread, its purpose, and who is involved.

The idea of a template is that there's a specific character sheet that people fill out when creating a character. It can be as specific or general as the people running the roleplay want. Generally, you have things like name, race, employment, gender/pronouns, appearance, history, and abilities. Each character has their own thread, which means that people can provide feedback and/or updates can be made (perhaps as a living history?) without interfering with other people's profiles.

In terms of actual roleplay areas, they're just broad categories indicating location, with dedicated threads for permanent places of roleplay. For example, say we're doing a roleplay set in Seattle. We could have areas such as North Seattle, University District, Capital Hill, and Downtown Seattle. Each thread within the subforum indicates an instance of roleplay, which can be either open (anyone can join) or closed (only people who are invited should be roleplaying). This way, there's less confusion as multiple people attempt to roleplay, since there could be two separate instances occurring within a thread otherwise.

Permanent locations are threads that exist and are always open because they occur in a fixed location. For example, a permanent location in Downtown Seattle might be the Space Needle. It's an open area, it's always there, and people might show up in the thread, roleplay, and then wander off to start a new thread afterwards.

wondercube wrote:I'm used to having an IC thread purely for story and an OOC purely for chat/plotting with the writers. Usually the IC thread will contain all the world/universe lore in the first page or two, and then the story starts directly after that.
That works for small communities or one-offs (the roleplay never expands beyond that single thread), but I've found it harder to maintain and confusing as the community grows. It can be hectic if you have, say, two dozen people attempting to interact with one another in a thread, at different locations, and engaged in completely different actions.

wondercube wrote:It's simple, but it's pretty straight forward (and really the only way I've RPed before, oops). I feel like I would have to take a class to follow your format.  :oops:
No worries! It's mainly a preference thing. I'm comfortable moving forward in any capacity.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurelinde Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:53 pm

I want to say yes - I've done play by post before - but...I'm prone to flaking/getting into a funk/being the laziest bear who ever lazied and I don't want to end up holding everyone back (or end up resenting it as a responsibility. I am bad at adulting.) So I don't know. :S
Laurelinde
Laurelinde
global mod
global mod

dragon
fairy

http://laurelindebear.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:56 am

Well, it's clear there is enough interest to start some kind of RP! I/we just gotta figure out what kind. I'm not happy to mod something, but it'd probably be best if there was a co-mod or two with me. I tend to get busy and might have periods where I'm sparse once I'm in another show.

I know Pixel previously expressed interest on helping we with stuff, with maybe means they want to potentially co-mod something?

Obviously, whatever I work on doesn't have to be the ONLY RP on the site. So yeah. Smile

Whatever we do, I'd like it to be active of course, but fairly relaxed and understanding of people schedules.

Laurelinde wrote:I want to say yes - I've done play by post before - but...I'm prone to flaking/getting into a funk/being the laziest bear who ever lazied and I don't want to end up holding everyone back (or end up resenting it as a responsibility. I am bad at adulting.) So I don't know. :S

I'd encourage you to find someone to do a casual 1 on 1 with, maybe? You can arrange for it to be super relaxed so you guys can post at a pace comfortable for you (taking breaks as needed).

In most RPs I've done/been successful in, the hope is that the pace will be about one post per week (per character). Depending on how excited the writers are, that pace can speed up or slow down. If you don't think you can commit to something like that, RPing with me might not be the thing for you. Sad

PS: I play GW2 as well! I have a Sylvari mesmer (among others). I suck but we should play sometime.

PixelScientist wrote:No worries! It's mainly a preference thing. I'm comfortable moving forward in any capacity.

I get that. If I mod something, I'd probably do it on a smaller scale. I wouldn't be comfortable enough with that format to mod an RP that size. Usually I more or less keep all the characters in the same area, and they travel in a party (like a JRPG or something). Obviously that's flexible. But I like to keep all the posts/story in one thread to prevent confusion and keep it cohesive.

I generally go with the flow regarding cast size, but usually prefer small-medium sized groups. Maybe 6-10 characters max. I couldn't handle 50 separate characters all in varying locations lol. A smaller sized cast in one or multiple locations can work though, but I usually need co-mods to help pay proper attention to everyone in that scenario.

One reason my below Fate/RP failed was because every character was in a different part of the city, so I was playing like 3 character plus 20 NPCs at once, and I couldn't keep up lol. And then everyone disappeared, so that never helps. lololol

Nocturama wrote:I'd be soooo down for either. I'm actually hoping to run a tabletop RPG-version of Fate/stay night some time soon (fingers crossed).

I made a Fate/RP a few years ago in an original setting (and really wasn't super canon-based to the finer specifics of the universe), but I really enjoyed it. Link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd probably use that same setting again. We had such a great balance of characters before it ultimately died lol. Lots of different ethnicities/ages/backgrounds.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:44 pm

wondercube wrote:
The Themysciran wrote:My partner and I actually run a Vampire: The Masquerade play by post forum if anyone was interested >.>
Would you be able to elaborate? I've never heard of that series(?) before. O:

Vampire: The Masquerade was a 90's table top game in which players played vampires, with an emphasis on personal horror. There were two video games also produced based on it, the most famous being Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. There isn't a class system so much as vampires organize into different clans, so you can be a horrific Nosferatu, a Lost Boys inspired Brujah, an Anne Rice inspired Toreador and so on. The game also emphasizes social and political intrigue more than combat.

I'd post the link but I'm a little nervous about keeping online spaces separate just in case The Mary Sue ever gets invaded by GG or something and this place gets briganded, so if anyone's interested I'll just pm the link ^_^
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 pm

The Themysciran wrote:I'd post the link but I'm a little nervous about keeping online spaces separate just  in case The Mary Sue ever gets invaded by GG or something and this place gets briganded, so if anyone's interested I'll just pm the link ^_^
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Sent!
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:43 pm

The Themysciran wrote:Vampire: The Masquerade was a 90's table top game in which players played vampires, with an emphasis on personal horror. There were two video games also produced based on it, the most famous being Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.  There isn't a class system so much as vampires organize into different clans, so you can be a horrific Nosferatu, a Lost Boys inspired Brujah, an Anne Rice inspired Toreador and so on.  The game also emphasizes social and political intrigue more than combat.

I'd post the link but I'm a little nervous about keeping online spaces separate just  in case The Mary Sue ever gets invaded by GG or something and this place gets briganded, so if anyone's interested I'll just pm the link ^_^
That sounds really cool!

vampires in any form are kind of my guilty pleasure
I just read Interview with a Vampire for the first time this year, which I enjoyed a lot.
I have a vampire OC that I'd love to use again eventually.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeryl Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:00 pm

I've read about people doing this, but never really understood what it was, so I'm definitely intrigued! Does each person take a character, or are we expected to continue the story from other people's perspective? Something with so established archetypes, like known movie characters(Avengers?) or popular video games may help until I catch on to the idea.
Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Aeryl wrote:I've read about people doing this, but never really understood what it was, so I'm definitely intrigued!  Does each person take a character, or are we expected to continue the story from other people's perspective?  Something with so established archetypes, like known movie characters(Avengers?) or popular video games may help until I catch on to the idea.
You've got the idea! We would all control our own separate characters, and we would write from said characters PoV.

From there, we interact with each other and the plot, essentially writing a story together.

The Mod (moderator) is the dungeon master of the RP (the terms are pretty interchangeable), and will throw plot points/events at the characters and they react accordingly. Players can also make their own plots with other characters and act those out, but if you and a friend/colleague want to do something that could drastically affect the plot, it's usually best to check with the mod to see if it works.

Some written RPs will focus on original characters in an original world/universe, and others will use established worlds/characters (like the Avengers or Harry Potter, where you might play Natasha Romanoff or Ron Weasley). Some RPs will use an established world, but use all new or mostly new characters (example: the next generation of wizards at Hogwarts).
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturama Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:10 am

Nocturama wrote:I'd be soooo down for either. I'm actually hoping to run a tabletop RPG-version of Fate/stay night some time soon (fingers crossed).

I made a Fate/RP a few years ago in an original setting (and really wasn't super canon-based to the finer specifics of the universe), but I really enjoyed it. Link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd probably use that same setting again. We had such a great balance of characters before it ultimately died lol. Lots of different ethnicities/ages/backgrounds.[/quote]

Sound really cool! I wouldn't mind trimming the fat of the setting, because the canon background is kind of... confusing? I personally am mainly interested in all the drama that come from the master/servant relationship, and the hard choices the grail war requires from you. I don't think it's that important who created the grail and if it's the real thing or not.

And I can see that a PvP game could cause some problems. I wouldn't mind my character dying (provided there is some drama in the death Wink), but I'd be unsure on how hard I could come down on other characters.
For my tabletop game, we will have one team of master, servant and one or two supporter (well, if Fate/Zero told us anything, it's that bringing a sniper rifle to a mage fight is a valid option). This might work better for more interaction between the characters - I'd definitely like different players to take the part of master and servant. For me, half the fun is the interaction between those two.

Nocturama

rock
dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Nocturama wrote:Sound really cool! I wouldn't mind trimming the fat of the setting, because the canon background is kind of... confusing? I personally am mainly interested in all the drama that come from the master/servant relationship, and the hard choices the grail war requires from you. I don't think it's that important who created the grail and if it's the real thing or not.

And I can see that a PvP game could cause some problems. I wouldn't mind my character dying (provided there is some drama in the death Wink), but I'd be unsure on how hard I could come down on other characters.
For my tabletop game, we will have one team of master, servant and one or two supporter (well, if Fate/Zero told us anything, it's that bringing a sniper rifle to a mage fight is a valid option). This might work better for more interaction between the characters - I'd definitely like different players to take the part of master and servant. For me, half the fun is the interaction between those two.
Oh, for sure. The fun of RP is character interaction/drama/development anyway. The Master/Servant relationship is particularly well set up for interaction.

Since Fate/ is centered around a tournament, it does pose a certain problem for killing characters off (particularly servants). Cause some characters are going to need to be taken out of the running in order for others to progress. I feel like all players should be open to the idea of their character dying/losing from the get-go. As mod, I would probably automatically take myself out of the running were I to play a master or servant. Honestly, if there were enough interest I might just fully commit to playing NPCs the players would interact with.

I feel like the concept is simple enough that anyone could join. Secret mage war. Seven mages summon warriors (via holy grail's powers) from history to fight for them, ultimately winning the holy grail at the end of the tournament. The winners (master and servant) both get their respective wishes.

I'd really need co-mods to help out though. I can't pay attention to all the different player characters without burning out. Would you potentially be interested in co-modding if this comes to pass? We'd essentially be controlling the events/plot points and throwing them at the characters, and we'd know/come up with the various plot twists planned for the RP as a whole.

I just wonder if there'd be enough interest to fill 14 potential roles (7 masters, 7 servants). I suppose if people burn out and quit, their characters become NPCs to be killed off. People who lose/die can make civilians or non-competing mages to support other characters. Or a servant-less master can join forces with an active master they want to win.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciella Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Count me interested! I used to do Play by Email RPG's back in the dial-up days of the internet. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Ciella
Ciella

https://www.behance.net/stirvinolady

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Ciella wrote:Count me interested! I used to do Play by Email RPG's back in the dial-up days of the internet. Sounds like a lot of fun!
I miss those. Was it one that mandated a full post a month?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It was a really neat concept; I've always been a little disappointed that I didn't do more than a few chapters.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciella Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:48 pm

PixelScientist wrote:
I miss those. Was it one that mandated a full post a month?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It was a really neat concept; I've always been a little disappointed that I didn't do more than a few chapters.

I can't remember if there was a post minimum. But I know I didn't have to worry about it. As soon as I was home from school, it was email-apalooza!
Ciella
Ciella

https://www.behance.net/stirvinolady

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:03 pm

I updated the first post to include a list of people who have expressed interest!

Is anyone specifically not interested in the Fate/Stay Night based RP? If Nocturama and I are the only ones who like the idea, there won't be much point in doing that particular RP at this time. x)
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top