TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DC Comics Discussion Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DC Comics Discussion Thread Empty DC Comics Discussion Thread

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Just making a space for us to talk about DC comics!

Honestly, I don't follow DC as closely, but I have been reading the new Starfire, Midnighter, and Black Canary series. I've read the new 52 Batwoman and Wonder Woman series as well, but that's about it.

Oh! And Cassandra Cain's Batgirl, who is my favorite Batgirl 5evar.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

DC Comics Discussion Thread Empty Re: DC Comics Discussion Thread

Post by Finest Fantasy Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:10 pm

I stopped reading around Convergence. There was some serious [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] going on. And, I did pick up a couple of the DC YOU titles. But, it wasn't enough to get me back into reading.

Justice League is more bullshit, grimdark, Batman-wanking and I really don't need to deal with The Fourth World being butchered any more than it already has been. Justice League of America could have been a good title, all things considering, but nope. I read the first issue and that was it. I was under the impression Justice League United had been cancelled, so I haven't read that, though.

Dr. Fate and We Are Robin are... both good, actually. Dr. Fate bastardizes Egyptian mythology, but whatever. An Earth-0 Khalid is great. We Are Robin, while good, I don't care to continue, at the moment. I'm just burned out with Batman. The insufferable Mary Sue is everywhere. His [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are worse. So, yeah. While I like Duke, I need a break from Batman.

The Martian Manhunter.
Spoiler:

Son of Baldwin, whom wrote that Cyborg essay on The Middle Spaces, has been asked to do another, now that his new series is out. I'm waiting for him, before I waste my time and emotional investment in being disappointed with that. However, I adore Victor and I want it to be a good series. Even if I'm more than a bit cynical and disappointed in DC, right now.

But, I'm enjoying my Grant Morrison's JLA. However, I only got through Issues #0, #1-#5 & #1,000,000 in John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter. Everything past #6 is corrupted and won't open. So, there's some good stuff to keep me not hating my favorite heroes, even if the company that owns up is bullshit, beyond reason. In concern to JLA, though... does Aztec ever show up, again? I read that his series was cancelled after a year. Does his arc ever get resolved? He was cool. Also, I love Zauriel. Considering he's Hawkman, if Hawkman wasn't lame, that helps. I can see constant line-up rotating has always been a problem, though. But, like all of Morrison's work, I'm digging it. I know McDuffie did a run in the early 00's. So, I'm looking forward to that.

Reading The Themysciran and co. handily shut down the MRA concern troll on that Wonder Woman article made me smile and renewed my interest in getting to George Perez's Wonder Woman run. I'm also considering buying DC: The New Frontier & All-Star Superman, depending on my bills, next month. I need the physical copy for All-Star, as it is. And, I adore Justice League: The New Frontier and everything I've read says the original graphic novel is even better. So, I'm down.

Wondercube, would you like to expound upon Starfire and Black Canary? I'm really not too into the Wildstorm heroes, but I did see a bit of Midnighter when I was reading Grayson. So, I'm open to reading him. Just, the 90's Anti-Hero bit is a turn-off. I really don't know anything about the Black Canary series, though. So, I'm all ears for that.

I'm also open to any good DC series anyone else would recommend. But, preferably Bronze Age at the latest. As my immense frustration shows, I have finite patience. Curious what good Post-Crisis stories I still have left to binge.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am

Finest Fantasy wrote:Wondercube, would you like to expound upon Starfire and Black Canary? I'm really not too into the Wildstorm heroes, but I did see a bit of Midnighter when I was reading Grayson. So, I'm open to reading him. Just, the 90's Anti-Hero bit is a turn-off. I really don't know anything about the Black Canary series, though. So, I'm all ears for that.
Sadly my DC experience is pretty limited to those three titles, plus the new 52 Batwoman and Wonder Woman and the Cass Cain Batgirl series.

As for Starfire, if you want something more lighthearted I would recommend checking it out. Issue 3 just released, so it's still easy to catch up. The writers for Starfire are the writers for the Harley Quinn series, so that might mean something to you (haven't read it yet). This iteration of Starfire seems to be based more on the early 2000s Teen Titan's cartoon version of the character, but other people have told me there are remnants of other versions. Basically, Starfire is a naive alien who doesn't understand human culture, but has a big heart and wants to love/help everyone. Highjinks ensue. So far it's more slice of life than anything else. Starfire visits earth for the first time and lands in Florida's Key West Islands. She's just a lovely free-spirit and is kind of sexually liberated in a neat way. If you like happy/sexy ladies, you might enjoy Starfire.

Black Canary's artist, Annie Wu, has a great style. I haven't followed the character before this series, but Dinah Lance (Black Canary) becomes the enigmatic lead singer of a metal/grunge/somethingidontknow band (called Black Canary). I think there's some arc in another book that lead up to this point, but so far she's discovered that the (so far) mute child bassist in her band, Ditto, is being pursued by some mysterious alien/other-worldly force, as well as the government agency Canary used to work for. So now she's basically sticking with this band and trying to protect/train the band members and manager on how to defend themselves. Dinah is kind of a serious character, but I wouldn't call her series "gritty" or dark by any means. So far she's kind of stoic/bad ass with a little sass. Also only three issues in.

As for Midnighter, I'm sad to say it isn't shaping up to meet my expectations. I don't know if it's the character or the writing, but I'm just not vibing well with it. I'm gonna continue to read for a while, cause I wanna support the gay male title. Midnighter is extremely violent/loves violence, and is recently broke up with Apollo, his partner for many years (and his husband in past iterations, but I don't think they married in New 52). It's gotten off to a convoluted start, but essentially Midnighter was taken as a child to a place called the "God Garden" and experimented on. That gave him his abilities (enhanced everything + super computer in his brain). I think he grew up in the Garden too? I don't know. The writer hasn't done the best job of explaining or giving context. Now, someone has stolen a bunch of crazy alien tech from the God Garden (it's in space) and is selling it/giving it to hapless humans who keep not being able to control it. So Midnighter shows up to stop them, all the while balancing his life as a single, dating gay man. 3 issues so far as well.

I've really only begun to piece that story together over time. I'm hoping the series will improve as I begin to understand the character.

TL;DR - Starfire feels fresh and light-hearted. Black Canary is colorful/wacky contrasted with a stoic/bad ass lead (thus). Midnighter is convoluted with great ideas, not so great execution. But I'm giving it a chance to develop.

Really, DC just needs to hire me to write an Apollo series to work in tandem with the Midnighter series, and I will solve everything because I am perfect.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:03 am

That's basically what I've been hearing about Starfire, so it's nice to hear it reaffirmed. I read a bit of Red Hood & The Outlaws, which is the previous series Starfire starred in. Does she mention Jason / Red Hood or Roy / Arsenal, at all? I also haven't read the Harley Quinn book, but I have heard similarly good things about it. So, I'll give it a go, if/when I get myself out of this funk.

I know there was a previous Black Canary in The New 52, but I thought it was Dinah Drake, whom is Dinah Lance's mother. The Golden Age Black Canary. It's complicated. But, I'm more than glad the current one is Dinah Lance. That series sounds ridiculous and amazing, so I might be down for that, too. I'll at least give it a go.

And, about Midnighter... yeah. That's basically the problem with the Wildstorm heroes as a whole. I don't know whose bright idea it was to put them in the main DCU.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 am

You know, it might be Dinah Drake, since everyone is calling her Dee or D.D., but she was married to Kurt Lance, so I guess she's both? I'm kind of playing catch up with her as a character in general. We just ran into her ex-husband Kurt in the last issue (so I'm not sure if Canary x Arrow has happened yet in N52).

I'm really scattered/confused when it comes to DC characters and their history, since I don't know as much about them. Really only been reading comics for a year and a half now.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:55 am

And no, Starfire has yet to mention her time with Red Hood and the Outlaws. It kinda seems like a soft reboot. In RHatO she (apparently) never actually went to Earth, so her touching down for the first time in her solo series is consistent with that, but I think they're more or less not touching on the RHatO run since that incarnation of her was soooo unpopular/controversial. I think they're more or less planning to let that die. I'd be interested to see her cross over with Grayson at some point, since I think her original L.I. was Dick Grayson.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:04 am

According to the DC Wikia, she's Dinah Drake. So, Dinah Laurel Lance doesn't seem to exist in the current continuity.

Dinah Drake / Dinah Drake-Lance is the Golden Age Black Canary. And, apparently, the Black Canary of The New 52.
Dinah Laurel Lance is Dinah Drake's daughter and the second Black Canary. Laurel being her middle name, as a means of differentiating her.

DC does a lot with Legacy Characters. Or, well, they used to. Before, the "BUT IT WAS BETTER WHEN I WAS A KID" group took over. Which is why Dinah Lance doesn't exist in this universe.

And, that's good to hear, I guess. RHaTO was... yeah. It was, yeah. Just, yeah. As for her popping into Grayson... yeah, no. Let's wait for Dick to be Nightwing or Batman, again.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:38 am

You just think they could pick a more individual name for the second Canary lol. But, that's comics.

I also get Sara Lance and Laurel Lance mixed up with the comics Canaries sometimes, because they're are just too many different versions now lol.

So is it Dinah Lance that ends up with Arrow, or Dinah Drake?
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 am

Dinah Drake-Lance marries ??? Lance. His first name changes in each new version, so, yeah.
Dinah Lance is involve with Oliver Queen.

You're going to have a ball trying to figure out how the Robins work.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Lolol yes Obvi Dinah Drake-Lance marries Kurt, buuuut then she divorces him sooooo I wasn't sure if she was ever on the market around the same time as the Arrow.

But yes, Dinah Lance gets Arrow. Got iiiiit. I don't think I'll even bother with the Robins. O_O

They all look the same. Except for Steph!bin.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:26 pm

There's an explanation for that, but it involves a lot of retcons, actually. And, I'm not entirely equipped to handle that. Thankfully, TV Tropes has a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for this kind of thing.

And, the differences in Robins comes down to hair-style, height, and costume. Otherwise, yeah. They look the fucking same. And, you'd have to know those minor differences to even be aware enough to look for them.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 am

Right now, the only DC title I'm collecting is Gotham Academy, because I heart Becky Cloonan, Maps is totes adorbs, and the artwork is fantastic.

I feel I also need to start collecting Robin: Son of Batman because my friend and mentor, Pat Gleason, is pulling double duty as penciller and writer on it. He's an awesome dude, and insanely talented. But I have very little idea of what's been happening in the Bat-verse for the past few years, so I don't know how quickly I'll be able to pick up on things.
mysterycycle
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 pm

I've read through Doctor Fate and Black Canary and I'm currently reading Starfire. Doc Fate is pretty interesting. It and Black Canary have an interesting and unique art-style. I can dig it. I'm going to be continuing both Khalid and Dinah's series, but I don't have much to say about them, other than they're both solid.

Kori, on the other hand... I adore this book. I absolutely adore it. They really did capture the best parts of the show's Starfire. Like, I'm in love with this book. It's so damned adorable. Warm & Fuzzy Feelings, all around. Get whomever is writing this to do the Captain Marvel / Shazam series. Oh my God, this series is perfect. I've still got Cyborg & We are... Robin! to get through, though.

Edit: Cyborg #3 cannot be out fast enough. I need to read it. Like, now. Both Titans alumni have excellent books. I just want to hug, Victor, I love him so much! His dad's such a fucking douchebag, though. I'm really curious who/what these alien-cyborgs (or, are they alien-androids?) are and what it is, exactly, they believe Victor stole. I figure it's whatever caused his upgrade into Cyborg 3.0, but I have no idea what that actually is. I'm genuinely excited for Raven's new series, now.

I don't know if I can stomach We are... Robin!, though. A wave of anger surges over me, whenever I think about Batman.

Spoiler:
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:38 pm

HA!

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying Starfire! Really, it's the only DC series I absolutely need. My favorite panels are the ones where someone says some colloquialism to Kori and the thought bubble pops up of her imagining whatever they said in a completely wrong way (like the "horny" cat omg).

So. Much. Love.

I'm just so happy they found her voice. I really hope the series lasts a long time (or like you know forever). I also love how the artist, Emanuela Lupacchino, has drawn Kori as an obvious bombshell, but it never feels really exploitative or over-sexualized. Sigh.

And yeah, Dinah's series is def unique in its own way, but certainly not what Starfire is. I'll keep following it in the meantime though. Let me know how Cyborg and We Are Robin are!
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 pm

At the moment im reading

Love:
Justice League United
Starfire
Gotham Academy
Prez
Wonder Woman
Bombshells
Batman '66
Wonder Woman '77
Bizarro

Enjoying:
Superman
Action Comics
Batgirl
Black Canary
Catwoman
Dr Fate
Grayson

following
Teen Titans
justice league 3000
Sensation Comics
Bat-mite
Doomed

I try to keep an eye on whats going on with Cyborg due to my persistant theory that they changed the character in a very specific way, though im not that invested in any book outside of those above.
Ive been doing enough back reading and borrowing of friends comics though to consider myself fairly knowledgeable about new 52's status quo though.
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

http://greenartfrostmagefire.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:47 am

I was pretty disenchanted with the New52 WW run. I hadn't read any WW comics prior, but it felt kind of empty to me. Devoid of the heart I was expecting. I've heard a lot of good things about Sensation's Comics WW run, and I'm curious about WW '77.

I am LOVING Starfire as well, and likewise enjoying Black Canary. Wish Midnighter was resonating with me more, though. I feel like I should read Grayson to get more context for Midnighter, since apparently he spun off from Grayson in the n52.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 pm

wondercube wrote:I was pretty disenchanted with the New52 WW run. I hadn't read any WW comics prior, but it felt kind of empty to me. Devoid of the heart I was expecting. I've heard a lot of good things about Sensation's Comics WW run, and I'm curious about WW '77.

My wife is a Wonder Woman fan, and for a while she was reading the comic regularly. This was just before the Amazons Attack storyline, at which point I think she was turned off by a new artist that was brought on or something. She's got very high standards for her Wonder Woman comics; while she checks in every now and then to see what the books look like, she's pretty critical of them. She is definitely one of those potential buyers that DC would earn if they treated WW with more dignity. (Then again, I pointed out Wonder Woman '77 to her, but that didn't earn much more than a raised eyebrow, so I could be wrong about that. We both have fond memories of the Lynda Carter TV show...but maybe she thought it would just be camp. Which, as far as I know, it is?)

For myself, I was pretty turned off with the stuff I was hearing about New52 WW. I had heard some positive reviews of Azzarello's run on the book, but once I heard about her new origin story (daughter of Zeus, the Amazons all hate men, etc.) I wasn't disposed to pick it up. And then every review I heard of the series after that got worse and worse.

I did buy Sensational Wonder Woman for the two issues when Noelle Stevenson was writing and drawing. That one was a lot of fun, and depicted Diana perfectly, in my opinion. And that one was kind of a joke story!
mysterycycle
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:45 pm

I kept hearing the the N52 run of WW was really good and well acclaimed, but as I was reading it (I bought vols 1-4 in bulk) I wasn't finding much connection to WW or the other characters. It felt very superficial to me.

I am, however, very looking forward to Grant Morrison's WW: Earth One. Sounds like everything I want from a WW story. Also excited for the vagina plane. x)
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Grant Morrison is the best writer and vagina plane sounds like the kind of ludicrous, genius, insane bullshit that Morrison does best. He treated Diana wonderfully in JLA, so I have no doubt Wonder Woman: Earth One will be good. I haven't actually read any of the other Earth One books, though. Getting a lot of mixed reviews, honestly. Besides, I (and quite a number of people, apparently) am/are incredibly apprehensive to anyone but Morrison writing Superman (the bae), so that should say something about his ability to write these kinds of characters.

Also, I wrote up a big post last night, but decided against actually submitting it, because rage. Decided I should cool off before doing that. lol I re-read Martian Manhunter and went through the next two issues in his series. So, that'll explain that.

But, out of curiosity, Nuuni: what is this theory you have, concerning Cyborg? I've read his book and I've kept up with Justice League (the book in which he spent most of his time).

But, I'm also curious, Nuuni, to hear what you have to say about both Action Comics and Superman. I'm behind on both, really. I read a bit of Action Comics (Morrison's run, naturally) and a good bit into it, afterward. But, I can't put my finger on where I let up. And, I read a bit of the Superman arc "The Men of Tomorrow", but it was about that time I rage-quit from comics for a while.

Wonder, I'm honestly not surprised you don't like Midnighter. The Wildstorm heroes are all... basically that. Him being "Gay Batman" is about all he has going for him. I almost feel like him being gay is just for shock value, really.

I went through a few more series. Teen Titans and JLA. I'm not sure how I feel about those, really. Going to ruminate on that, some more.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:36 pm

I feel the need to disclaimer that while im following Wonder Woman, I specifically didn't pick up the new 52 book until Azarello was replaced with Meredith Finch, the current writer on the title. Nothing I heard about Azarello emboldened me towards his run, and I picked up Finch's run at first just to see a woman tackle Wonder Woman, and then found myself really enjoying her work.
To disclaimer, the first couple issues are REALLY rough. She was trying to establish the idea of Wonder Woman having many roles in her current life and trying to juggle them, which didn't quite come off right at first. That said, by the fourth issue of her run, she had picked up the pace and once she pulled that Wonder Woman annual, I fell in love with her run.
Though to be honest, its mostly been damage control, trying to pick up the pieces after the last run ran Diana down.
And since she wasn't allowed to restore Wonder Womans original origin story, she instead gave it to Donna Troy, making her the child born from clay. The writer talked about plans to make the book half about Donna over time. Though personally, I think Donna should just be given her own bloody book. We have two robin books at the moment. No reason we can't get Wonder girl her own title.

As for Wonder Woman '77, it is really quite good. Its not really that campy compared to Batman. Its fairly serious, though with a bit of a disco vibe to it. Silver Swan looked pretty nice.
The latest storyline looks to be introducing the Cheetah in an interesting fashion.

Also, Grayson really doesn't fill in any holes for Midnighter. If your wondering what the heck the garden is or what Midnighters motives are, you wont find them in Grayson.
Though Grayson is a really good book, which I heartily recommend.

As for earth 1, I have read teen titans earth 1. It was really weird. To spoil a little, it gives near everyone the same origin story, establishes Raven as a native american shaman, and frankly, its a bit of an odd book. From what I can gather, the other earth-1 books are self contained complete stories or something like that.
Teen Titans on the other hand...The one hundred and fifty page book was basically a prelude, and in a movie, it would have made up the first twenty minutes of the film. I find it really hard to give an opinion as to its quality, simply because its an incomplete story, where not alot happened aside from build up. Which I wouldn't mind, except nobody has said a word about writing a volume 2, and im hearing rumors claiming it is being passed around as a premise for a potential Teen Titans movie...

Really looking forward to earth 1 wonder woman. Though I confess, Morrisons comments leave me with alot of mixed feelings in how...Odd his mental tract was in his earlier statements. XD

Alright, its more than possible that im over examining things, and that im reading far more into it than what is actually there...But in the first issue, Cyborg does forget all about his childhood friend Sarah to go off with Sebastian, and he spends more time with Sebastian in these two issues than he does with anyone else...I have a completely unsubstantiated theory that they might make Cyborg gay. Which would be pretty awesome if they were to do so I think. Particularly with a Cyborg movie on the horizon.

Well their certainly interesting. Superman I didn't pick up until the new writer jumped in. And Actions taken a rather sudden change.
The most important thing to know about the two books is that while they are both part of the same event, they are two wholly and completly seperate stories, united only by the fact that they are both exploring the new status quo.
Superman acts as a prelude, its the book establishing the status quo, which Action Comics is already responding to. (Making Action take place months after Superman.)

Overall, i find them both thoroughly enjoyable. Action Comics has been pretty consistent as a high quality book. And the sudden change just continued that. The book works to play up Supermans Golden Age influence, while keeping to his embodiment as an inspirational figure. This take on the character is very big on 'We are all Superman!" And emphasizes that everyone is ultimately good.

Superman, is a fascinating tale. It features the man of tommorow, battling the world of tommorow. Specifically, their taking a hero who embodied the idea of the future back when he was created, at odds with an evil amalgamation of google and facebook.

Teen Titans...I confess, im kinda considering dropping it. I picked it up for Bunker, and Beast Boy being awesome aside, not alot in this book has really sold me. I find Manchester Black to be an annoying villain, and the fact that he can basically sit back and twirl his mustache while the people around him think hes not a super-villain just baffles me.
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:03 pm

The Teen Titans: Earth One. I knew about Raven and the whole joint origin, but I'm not sure what to make of it, now. That's definitely curious.

As for Morrison: He's an insane genius. The genius is fueled by the insanity. I'm cool with a vagina plane.

As far as I know, I don't think Cyborg has ever had a consistent love interest. The old cartoon put him with Bumblebee and I heard Earth One puts him with Terra. There was some tease in the JL:War/Atlantis movies, but otherwise... Yeah, I don't think there's any main-universe canon evidence for Cyborg's sexuality, one way or another. That I know of, that is.

Personally, as a Cyborg, I think he's beyond things like sexual preference. He's still human enough to want sex and Love and all that good stuff, but when you're half-robot, I don't think you care about other stuff.

In concern to Superman: I'm still not sure. But, I'm considering giving them a shot. It sounds like it could be a good story, but it could also be an awful story. Superman's just near and dear to me. I will alert the group when I have read it, though.

I pretty much agree on Titans. Bunker, Beast Boy, and Raven are the reason I've read it. Machester Black... why is he with the Titans? The Elite are Superman villains! Stop stealing all of Clark's villains. Steal some of Bruce's. He has plenty! There's also the fact that Cassie is a Fucking idiot and I've given up on Bart. Not sure how I feel about Tanya, yet, though. Going to give her more time.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:07 pm

The most curious thing about earth 1 teen titans, is it hinted at a really large group. Eleven people total oddly enough.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Still stumped on a couple of these...

Not the plane, so much as some of his earlier commentaries, about things like Wonder Womans sexuality, and bondage. Morrison has this weird 'going on weird tracts' kinda thing. I had initially seen this as a turn off, until a friend pointed out that Morrison does this sort of thing alot and pointed out a time when he began talking about Batman being 'the gayest straight character ever'

I can understand sexuality not being important for a robot, but gosh darn it, if they made Cyborg gay, it would be a really big deal for comic books. Especially with his place in the league, and the history of the character.

Ive heard alot of love and hate about the current superman run, so I couldn't say if you would enjoy this take. Though I will warn, its a very golden age take on the character. And one who treasures his secret identity more than his life. And Superman is being written by a guy whose understanding of Superman is based on the Golden age take on the character.
The oddest thing though? The writer talks about Lois and Superman as if they are totally THE destined couple, and are bound to get together. Despite the fact that DC is putting a very firm no in that regard though.

Yeah...Manchester Black really shouldn't be there. ^^; I get the idea, but this whole thing seems like a conflict created for the sake of conflict, with no real rhyme or reason for any of it.
And yeah, Cassie is being pretty idiot ball'd...I also can't figure out for the life of me how the bleep he got an indigo lantern from triplicate girls world, and Klarion the bloody witch boy on this team. Not to mention Bart...Somehow.
Tanya...To be honest, I think she is suffering from this approach. She was jumped into the action in the middle of Manchesters plot and before we can get more than a brief synopsis of her backstory, were thrown into a storyline that leads to two superhero teams that doubles the roster on the book, plus throws in Superboy, and keeps cutting away to Manchester while exploring a murder mystery and warring superteams.
I don't think we have gotten even four pages dedicated to developing her character.

Though I will confess, I am fascinated by the idea of Chimera. Its a pleasant surprise to see DC make a Durlan character. (Legion of Superheroes species.) The addition of psychic powers is a surprise, and im curious to see how she develops.

Honestly, I understand this books banking on a crisis to boost sales, but its a bit of a wrong move to make for a book like this. Especially when not to long ago, they were showing off the awesome of a Raven inspired goth metal band. And showing off adorable Beast boy transformations.
I know its placing #22 on Comixology thanks to this stunt, but come on....They even made an advert about Powergirl for petes sakes.
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by kryptoknight Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Loving the Sensation Comics take on Wonder Woman so far. Despite continuing to show her with the New 52 appearance on the covers she actually looks and acts like the Wonder Woman I know and love within the pages. It's a litle odd, like it's not quite in continuity with anything that's going on right now. Which, sadly, actually helps the book.

Okay, so a few people have encouraged me to finally give DC a chance again with their new DCYou line.

I tried reading Starfire, but I just couldn't do it. Probably because I'm not a fan of the puppies, sunshine, and rainbows version of Starfire that's become popular since the Teen Titans cartoon. Her confident warrior aspect has been torn away and she just comes across like a naive ditz. No offense to those loving it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I tried reading Action Comics 41-43 and I can't give much of an opinion yet. So far I'm not wild about it but there's not much there yet either. I will say I was a little uncomfortable with how it turned into an army of mostly white cops vs a crowd of various minorities. That was a bit... odd.

Batman Beyond... I can't quite express my rage. Terry's gone, everything's a mess. A horrible terrible mess. Nope. All done here.

The Bat-Mite mini-series is just hilarious and amazing. I love it so much I want to have its babies.

Ditto with the Bizarro. It's dumb, but somehow I can't help but love it.

Green Lantern makes no sense whatsoever and Hal looks ridiculous.

Justice League similarly seems to be a mess and mid-story arch? I thought DCYou was supposed to be providing jumping-on points?

I refuse to even touch Lobo since he got his male model make-over.

Batman 41+ and Detective Comics 41+ was interesting, not bad really... just very different. I'm with Gordon though, the robo-suit looks a bit too bunny-like for my taste. I haven't been following DC so I hadn't realized they "killed off" Batman.

I'm trying to work my way through all the new DCYou stuff to give it a shot.
kryptoknight
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:22 am

Rather than jumping straight into the comics, you might want to read the promo comics
On free comic book day, they released forty mini comics of five pages each to give people a taste of each books flavor.
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:32 am

Huh...Reading up on various titles and back information to get an idea about the current status quo in preperation for Batman and Robin Eternal (Im so psyched!) Its surprising to see where everyone is right now.

Bruce Wayne: Died fighting the Joker...More or less. Oh and some penniless hobo is working at Gothams rec center.

Dick Grayson: Is legally dead, publicly known to have been robin, Is working for a spy group called spyral where he spys on people. And wears implants that makes anyone who looks at him see a spiral where his face should be.

Barbara Gordon: Is now a hero based out of Burnside, a silicon valley suburb that avoids all the mafia stuff and most of the crap that Gotham generally gets into.

James Gordon: Now has a mohawk for...reasons. And is now Batman. Relies on having a police task force, and an army of tech support to keep him fighting crime in a mech suit.

Julia Pennyworth: Alfreds daughter, who has a load of badassery. Is currently playing tech support to Gordon to keep an eye on the new Batman.

Luke Fox (Batwing): Setting up shop in Burnside, hes trying to start up his own tech company while also fighting crime in a mech suit. (Which looks more like the one from Batman Beyond.)

Tim Drake: Like all of the Robins, appears to have not heard about Batman dying because he was out of town. I don't think his Teen Titan connection is going to tie into things at all, though he was on the cover so ill just add that he leads the Teen Titans.

Jason Todd: Apparently stole the idea from Power man, and started up a business where he accepts money for superheroing alongside his 'friend' Arsenal [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Damien Wayne: Was feeling uber guilty about the bad things he was doing to train to become the head of the league of assasins, and had gone on a pilgrimage to rectify the bad he had done in his life.

Montoya and Bullock: Are now partners who work on the 'keep Gordons ass out of the fire' task force that act as support for the new Batman.

Alfred Pennyworth: Left one handed after an attack by Joker, Alfred left with nothing to do with Bruce Wayne gone, and everyone else having left, picks up the codename 'the nest' and starts recruiting children across Gotham to help protect it under the banner of Robin.

Selina Kyle: Head of a crime family at war with the Black Skull and who I assume to be the king of cats, Selinas trying to save the city in her own odd way by crushing all of the other crime families under her boot, and turning her own into something respectable. Has a lover named Eiko (New Catwoman.), whose the daughter of the local triad. (Whose family wants Selina dead.)

Maggie Sawyer: Is now commissioner of Gotham PD. Is back with Kate Kane. Those two should get married. And Batwoman should totally get a series with that superhero team. (Batwoman, Clayface, Etigan, Red Alice and Ragman is the perfect team up!)

Harper Row: Was offered the mantle of Robin, she was going to start training with Batman...Only for him to die, leaving her with nothing better to do than pick up her own mantle and fight crime with her new BFF, Spoiler. Its been hinted that her parents are established characters which will be explored in the upcoming event.

Stephanie Brown: Father died in the last event, shes now getting training from the current Catwoman (Eiko) and fighting crime with Harper.

Jim Corigan: Is apparently a head of the 'supernatural horrors' division of the Gotham police force. Which is trying to deal with Gotham being seriously haunted to the point that ghosts posess the electronics periodically.

Katana, Talon and Black Canary: Showed up in the finale of the last Batman Eternal? I don't think they are relevant, but they did show up last time. Not a peep from Katana or Talon, though Canary is on a road tour with her band.

Olive Silverlock and Maps: Will almost defnitly not pop up in this event. But ive mentioned near everyone else so...
Their at Gotham Academy, Olives mom was a supervillain who may or may not be magic. And I have a pet theory that the school is made up of kids who have the potential to be big time supervillains.

Bette Kane: Not a peep from her. Though shes had little to no relevence ever since she was replaced by Barbara. A shame though, id think something could be done with her.

Cassandra Cain: Is to be one of three main characters for Batman and Robin eternal (Alongside Dick Grayson and Harper Row)

Really curious to see where this event goes.
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top