TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marvel Comics Discussion Thread Empty Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:46 am

Hey all~

Figured it would be a good idea to create a space for us to talk about Marvel comics! Every week I always want to discuss the new issues/titles I pick up, but there's never been a good space for me to do that in!

So I'm making one. I love you
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Marvel Comics Discussion Thread Empty Re: Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 am

Right now I'm really trying to cut down on the number of titles I'm following. It just keeps expanding exponentially as they release more diverse titles, so I need to let a few fall to the wayside.

I'm kind of gearing up to cut several loose for the post-SW universe, and it's killing me. I just want to follow ALL the comics and give them all my money, so the companies know they need to keep making them (spending money is the best way to get more of what you want, I think).

But it's getting unrealistic, especially as my interest in some DC titles picks up (Starfire, Black Canary, Midnighter). Or image/other publishers, even. I feel like I should be more well-rounded.

ABSOLUTELY CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT
Ms. Marvel

MARVEL MUSTS
ANAD Avengers
A-Force
Captain Marvel
Squirrel Girl
Moon Girl and DD
The Mighty Thor

WANT, NOT NECESSARY:
Angela: QoH
Spider-Woman
Silk
Spider-Gwen
Scarlet Witch
AN Wolverine
Totally Awesome Hulk
Black Panther
Blade

NO TITLE?
Black Widow

Really, I need them all. I'm just tearing out the bits of my heart that might hurt the least... We'll see. I REALLY wanna support the new Blade, since I think it's really important to have more female PoC as heroes. I'm so pleased/surprised to get Moon Girl AND Blade, but I gotta pick the more intriguing one for me. Angela, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk are all titles I've been following, but I don't know... Too many spider series, and Angela is so new to me that, despite loving her and Sera, there are other characters that have formed a far deeper, more parasitic bond in my soul. IDK what to do.

Kamala is the only ride-or-die I have. Nat would be on there too, but there's been no announcement/hint toward post-SW series yet.

Kamala + the "Musts" list puts me at 11 when paired with titles from other publishers - Starfire, Midnighter, and BC from DC and Copperhead from Image. Really, Starfire is the only DC title I feel like I'd really *need* to follow, since I have infinite affection for that character due to the cartoon. Midnighter is only necessary for the fact that he's gay, and I want/need more of those in their own titles.

edit: I mean I'll probably follow all the titles I cut loose through *coughcough* other means *coughcough*, but I really love giving my money to support the titles/teams I love (to encourage them to keep making them). But it's becoming increasingly apparent that I don't have the financial means to follow ALL the series/characters I love. BUH.

Last edited by wondercube on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:21 pm

MUSTS

A-Force
All-New, All-Different Avengers
All-New Hawkeye
Angela: Queen of Hel
Howard The Duck
Ms. Marvel
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

WANTS

All-New Wolverine
Black Panther
Blade
Captain Marvel
Extraordinary X-Men
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
New Avengers
Old Man Logan
Scarlet Witch
Silk
Spider-Gwen
Squadron Supreme
Totally Awesome Hulk
Ultimates

I have mixed feelings on most of the upcoming titles. The Avengers and X-Men titles both seem to be going in new directions and I'm really curious about most of them but I'm not really sure which titles are supposed to be the important ones. It kind of sounds like All-New, All-Different Marvel is going to be less "architect"-based (like Bendis or Hickman-type architects) than the past decade, which would be an interesting direction.

It's still mostly the small titles I'm sold on, though. My musts are pretty much the same as they have been. Hopefully some of the new titles win me over.

EDIT: Also, I adore the team picked for Extraordinary X-Men! Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler are three of my favorite X-Men while Magik is one of the X-Men I've really wanted to read more about (her part in Bendis' X-Men with Dormammu and stuff was actually really cool). Old Man Logan is also a clever way to make the classic Wolverine formula a little fresher. I didn't read enough of Bendis' X-Men to have much of an opinion on young Jean Grey and don't care about Iceman, but I'll accept them as nice bonuses to one of my favorite X-Men teams in a while.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Katrien Caffeine wrote:I have mixed feelings on most of the upcoming titles. The Avengers and X-Men titles both seem to be going in new directions and I'm really curious about most of them but I'm not really sure which titles are supposed to be the important ones. It kind of sounds like All-New, All-Different Marvel is going to be less "architect"-based (like Bendis or Hickman-type architects) than the past decade, which would be an interesting direction.
I'm not familiar with the term "architect" based. I assume that's a way of formatting plot/character dev?

I'm just excited for all the new female titles they're introducing/have introduced in the last year and a half. It gives me hope for the world!

EDIT: Also, I adore the team picked for Extraordinary X-Men! Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler are three of my favorite X-Men while Magik is one of the X-Men I've really wanted to read more about (her part in Bendis' X-Men with Dormammu and stuff was actually really cool). Old Man Logan is also a clever way to make the classic Wolverine formula a little fresher. I didn't read enough of Bendis' X-Men to have much of an opinion on young Jean Grey and don't care about Iceman, but I'll accept them as nice bonuses to one of my favorite X-Men teams in a while.
Storm is my favorite X-Men 5evar. I enjoyed her brief series this last year, though it didn't wow me like I hoped it would. As for Iceman, that debacle was unfortunate, but it didn't give me moderately more interest in the character. I hope going forward they'll be able to work the kinks out and make his new identity more cohesive. I almost bought a shirt that read "I was outed by Jean Grey," but I missed the sale. x)
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 pm

I also hope Iceman's sexuality will be handled more gracefully in the future. It could be really cool.

As far as the architect comment, I was referring to how one writer would control pretty much a whole franchise. Like, they would write multiple titles featuring a team and all the other books from other writers would be dependent on theirs. Bendis did this for Avengers last decade until Hickman took over.

Now after Secret Wars, I'm not sure who seems to have that role. It looks like the main Avengers book is Waid's, which doesn't seem to have the same grand scale as Bendis' or Hickman's Avengers series.

Same with X-Men, where the X-books look pretty independent of each other compared to how closely tied All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men were.

That's what I meant by "architect based"--when the writer controls the direction of the whole team rather than just one book.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Did the reboot or whatever happen yet? I was waiting for that, before committing. I've read a handful of Marvel NOW! & All-New Marvel NOW! series, but that's about it. Still need to get me my Captain / Ms. Marvel trades, though. How are the Spider-Man and Spider-Man-related titles?
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:57 am

Finest Fantasy wrote:Did the reboot or whatever happen yet? I was waiting for that, before committing. I've read a handful of Marvel NOW! & All-New Marvel NOW! series, but that's about it. Still need to get me my Captain / Ms. Marvel trades, though. How are the Spider-Man and Spider-Man-related titles?
The first titles of the universe reboot will release in October - All New, All Different Marvel Universe.

Say that 5 times fast.

Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel are amazing, yes.

I loved the Miles Morales titles, didn't get to read any Parker stuff. I really love Spider-Woman, but it's not worth reading before issue 5 which was the series spiritual number 1 issue. That's when she quit the Avengers and got her costume redesign. Since then it's been really wonderful. The recent arc that just ended was really emotional for me. Spider-Woman is rebooting from issue 1 with the universe reboot, so I'd just wait till then.

Spider-Gwen had a weird start because the character began as part of the Spider-Verse event last year, but then became so popular she got her own series. I like the series a lot, love the costume, but not super obsessed with it like some fans.

Silk is great. Korean-American female lead, bitten by the same spider as Peter Parker. Just sassy and fun and has PTSD from being locked in a bunker for a decade lol. I'd really recommend this series too!

All three are rebooting from issue 1 with the universe shift, so might be easiest to jump on then. I think the same creative teams are sticking with those books, so you might want to find a way to read the current runs for those characters and see which you gravitate toward for the reboot. None of them will make it beyond 10 issues before the reboot happens. D;

They'll have titles for Peter, Miles, Jess (Spider-Woman), Gwen (Spider-Gwen), and Cindy Moon (Silk). So. Many. Spiders.

I'd say Silk and Jess are highest on my list of spider-titles. Then probably Gwen and Miles.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:11 am

I've read a handful of trades for both Carol and Kamala, I just don't own the books, myself. Sharing is caring and being poor is lame. But, friendship and boss-ass ladies. Amusingly, my friend is a Marvel fan and I'm a DC. She got me into Captain Marvel and I got her into Captain Marvel. Trollolol.

So, basically... Marvels are great, Spiders are great. They have lots of books. Is Sam still going to be Captain America in October? I'd like to read a Captain America book. And, an Avengers book. I guess I can look forward to All-New / All-Different then, huh?
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:46 am

Sam Wilson will still be Captain America and Thor will still be a lady (not sure if you know who her mortal identity is, so I don't want to spoil it). They'll both have their own titles, AND they'll be in the ANAD Avengers with Kamala! Nova, Miles Morales, Vision, and an Iron Man will be included too. Not sure if it's been revealed who is wearing the suit yet.

There are a few other Avengers titles, one including Squirrel Girl that I want to read. But it's pretty low on my list of priorities.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 am

I've heard a lot of good things about Sam Alexander, but haven't gotten to his series, yet. I also remember writing up a hate-filled rage-rant on my Facebook about the response to that Avengers line-up, actually. I'm an angry person. So, I look forward to reading that. The Vision is the closest I'll probably have to a decent Martian Manhunter for a while, anyway.

But, sweet on Sam still being Cap. And, I haven't read the Thor book, but I was never big on Thor. And, no word on Iron Man? That's odd. He's basically Marvel's Batman, now.

It looks like I'll be digging into Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Captain America: Sam Wilson, All-New / All-Different Avengers, without question.

Series I'll give a go around:
Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man 2099, Silk, Spider-Woman, Web Warriors, Spider-Man,

Series I'm curious about:
Mighty Thor, Nova, Vision

Spoiler:
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:36 am

Finest Fantasy wrote:But, sweet on Sam still being Cap. And, I haven't read the Thor book, but I was never big on Thor. And, no word on Iron Man? That's odd. He's basically Marvel's Batman, now.

It looks like I'll be digging into Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Captain America: Sam Wilson, All-New / All-Different Avengers, without question.

Series I'll give a go around:
Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man 2099, Silk, Spider-Woman, Web Warriors, Spider-Man,

Series I'm curious about:
Mighty Thor, Nova, Vision

Spoiler:
Well, Iron Man is definitely in the ANAD Avengers, but I don't believe they've revealed if it's Tony or not. For a bit people thought it would be Pepper, but the suit looks decidedly male. And I think they took Pepper out of the running anyway (then again, they did that with Jane too).

I thought the Thor series was great. Only got about 7 or 8 issues in before Secret Wars. I felt a little detached at times since they didn't reveal who she was until the last panel of the last issue, so there was an element of distance since the first run was mostly about other people observing her and trying to figure out who she was. Still, it was was a great build up for the character. The Might Thor series coming up is one I'm really excited for, since Jane Foster is dying and Thor might be all that's left. Could get pretty wild/emotional, which I love. I'd say check it out. If anything, I thought the series had fantastic art. The sheer volume of Marvel super-heroines that team up near the end is pretty fantastic. There were some great panels there.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:10 pm

I did a bit of googling and it does look like Tony's under the helmet. I can't really complain, though. It's fair enough. I've heard mixed things on comics Pepper, too.

But, alright. That's enough of a sell. I'll see about reading Thor. Here's hoping I'll love it as much as you.
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:34 pm

The story itself is fine, nothing revolutionary. The big deal is just a new person/woman becoming Thor. It was a solid book with good art. Worth reading, at least, to say you were there when the era began. I think the real work/meat of the series is going to start with the issue 1 reboot coming up, so keep that in mind.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by zanite Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 pm

I quite like the villainous duo Thor's going to be facing. Depending on how the cards fall there could be some epic clashes coming up.
zanite
zanite

water
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherrie Ricketts Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm having a rough time because I can't buy all the books I want. I'm sticking with Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel for now. They're the only books in my pull list. Sad  

BUT! It's not all sadness and woe. I have Marvel Unlimited, so I have been reading a lot of titles several months behind.  Squirrel Girl is SO MUCH FUN. I can hardly wait to read more. It's a great palate cleanser for when comics get too serious.

I'm also reading through some older key titles in order. Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, and now New Mutants. I'm in 1984. Just got up to Secret Wars (the first one) and was a little disappointed but enjoyed some of it.  I'm also reading side comics, like Annuals and the limited series (Wolverine, Kitty Pryde and Wolverine, Scarlet Witch and Vision, Magik, etc.) as I come to them.

As for the ANAD titles, I'm just so stoked about the Avengers with Kamala and Miles. I am so thrilled for their interaction.  If a writer can't make that fun, they're dead inside.
Sherrie Ricketts
Sherrie Ricketts

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 am

Sadly, money concerns have forced me to cut my list of purchases down. Right now, the Marvel books I'm collecting are:

Ms. Marvel
Star Wars
Star Wars: Lando
Star Wars: Princess Leia (or is that over now?)

I got really excited about A-Force and Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps when I first heard about them, and got the first issues...but then I found out it was all taking place in Battleworld. Meh. Secret Wars doesn't interest me at all...
mysterycycle
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 am

Princess Leia was, sadly, only a mini-series. It ended with issue 5, though there's a strong chance for more mini-series down the line (or maybe an ongoing) since it sold fairly well I believe. I wanted to pick up Lando, but I'm not enough of a hardcore SW fan to pick that up over other titles.

A-Force, at least, will be continuing on in the new marvel universe as it's own ongoing title, so you've got that to look forward to!
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Finest Fantasy Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:13 pm

What? That's bullshit. I was waiting for the trade, but it'll only be a Mini-Series? What about the other books?
Finest Fantasy
Finest Fantasy

water
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Finest Fantasy wrote:What? That's bullshit. I was waiting for the trade, but it'll only be a Mini-Series? What about the other books?
I'd imagine they'll come out with a trade. They had a full arc, so I don't see why they wouldn't.

The plot itself was Leia's actions following the destruction of Alderaan between movies, so it wasn't a plot that could last forever (but it certainly could have been longer). I was disappointed too (though my bank account was relieved). I didn't realize it was a mini-series until it was over. Lando is also a mini-series. I think only the main Star Wars comic and Darth Vader are ongoing?
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:46 pm

wondercube wrote:Princess Leia was, sadly, only a mini-series. It ended with issue 5, though there's a strong chance for more mini-series down the line (or maybe an ongoing) since it sold fairly well I believe. I wanted to pick up Lando, but I'm not enough of a hardcore SW fan to pick that up over other titles.

That's what I was afraid of. Disappointing, really. The artwork was fantastic and it's a crime that there hadn't been a Princess Leia comic until now (unless Dark Horse ever did one that I don't know about).

Lando is pretty fun so far; they're going with a heist movie feel for the story, which is perfect. The jarring thing for me was Lobot actually speaking out loud.

A-Force, at least, will be continuing on in the new marvel universe as it's own ongoing title, so you've got that to look forward to!

That's excellent news! I'm looking forward to picking that up, then.
mysterycycle
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:38 am

By the way, wondercube, I love your new sig banner. Patsy Walker, Hellcat, is the best. I wish She-Hulk hadn't been canceled...
mysterycycle
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by kryptoknight Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:06 pm

wondercube wrote:Princess Leia was, sadly, only a mini-series. It ended with issue 5, though there's a strong chance for more mini-series down the line (or maybe an ongoing) since it sold fairly well I believe. I wanted to pick up Lando, but I'm not enough of a hardcore SW fan to pick that up over other titles.

Having finally had a chance to read the Leia series recently I cannot emphasize enough how much I wish it were an ongoing book.
kryptoknight
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:04 pm

mysterycycle wrote:By the way, wondercube, I love your new sig banner. Patsy Walker, Hellcat, is the best. I wish She-Hulk hadn't been canceled...
Yessss. Patsy is the shit. I LOVED that Shulkie run. Charles Soule is a god and I was so bummed when it got canceled. His Jennifer AND his Patsy were amazeballs. And Angie. Dear GOD do I need more Angie. I was so looking forward to learning more about her and Hei Hei.

kryptoknight wrote:
Having finally had a chance to read the Leia series recently I cannot emphasize enough how much I wish it were an ongoing book.  
Sigh, yes. I'm not sure why they went with a mini-series. To test the waters, I guess, but it's Princess FUCKING Leia - arguably the most iconic/popular female character ever. Of course people are gonna buy her series. Leia's only real competition as a pop-culture icon would be Wonder Woman, I think.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Lets see...

Following
Ms Marvel
Silver Surfer
Groot
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Though im giving half of my books a miss until this event ends. As a rule, I don't follow tie ins.

Afterwards, I might pick up Moon Girl and that Avengers book Squirrel Girl is in. Though I don't give either of the titles good odds of lasting a year given Marvels habit of canceling the books I really want. >_>
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

http://greenartfrostmagefire.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:44 pm

wondercube wrote:Yessss. Patsy is the shit. I LOVED that Shulkie run. Charles Soule is a god and I was so bummed when it got canceled. His Jennifer AND his Patsy were amazeballs. And Angie. Dear GOD do I need more Angie. I was so looking forward to learning more about her and Hei Hei.

Me, too. I loved that cast of characters, and the series premise. Wasn't as crazy about Pulido's artwork, but the writing made up for it.

Nuuni Nuunani wrote:Though I don't give either of the titles good odds of lasting a year given Marvels habit of canceling the books I really want. >_>

They seem to have a knack for that.
mysterycycle
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next