Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Wish I could help, but relationships are something im really blind on. ^^;
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

View user profile http://greenartfrostmagefire.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Post by GeorgeT on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Charlotte_D wrote:Has anyone here read The Young Avengers?

I'm so relieved Wiccan and Hulkling will show up in the New Avengers. Waiting for Miss America to show up somewhere with a significant role. That character cannot be forgotten. No
Ms America Chavez is going to be in the new Ultimates team book with Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Blue Marvel, and Black Panther but that's it post-relaunch as far as I know. First issue drops in October.
GeorgeT

ice
dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:24 pm

wondercube wrote:So, a bit comics-adjacent, but I don't know where else to post this. x)

The people I see every week at the comics shop seem pretty cool, and I just want them to be my friends and love me forever. I'M SURE EVERYONE WHO GOES REGULARLY FEELS THAT WAY UGH.

I'm sorry! I can't imagine what it would be like to go through life without nerdy friends. I've been blessed with a number of them all my life, even at the last place I worked (a bookstore); living without them would be like, I dunno, like hanging out in a sports bar all day, I suppose. If I had to go every day nodding while people talked about sportsball and not be able to once say, "Here's what my Sheperd looks like" or "Oh, man, I love the writing on She-Hulk but I'm not crazy about the art," without getting blank stares, I would probably become a hikikomori.

I understand the desire to be totally embraced and accepted by the cool kids, though. It's not quite the same thing, but: I went to art school in my 30s, after I was married. I was suddenly surrounded by all of these younger students who were as deep or deeper into comics and geek stuff than I was, and I really wanted to be one of them. I was accepted to a degree - it's not like I was a pariah or anything - but I knew that as a married guy ten years older than everyone else, I could never completely be a part of that crowd. I wished I had been able to go there when I was their age. And while my wife shares some of my geek interests, I can't help but envy younger straight guys to a degree, with so many more girls openly interested in geek stuff. I always worried that either the girl I was interested in would merely tolerate my hobbies, or she would think I was involved in devil-worship. Falling in love with someone who was also a huge geek was The Impossible Dream.  Laughing (I was very fortunate that my wife had no preconceived notions about my interests, and was, in fact, a proto-geek who had yet to emerge from her chrysalis. Still, I was sweating bullets when she said, "So what is this Dungeons & Dragons thing?")

Incidentally, here's a quirk I've recently become aware of: I get weird when I go into comics/games stores. Even though I'm a fairly socially-apt guy, when I walk into a comics store I suddenly feel very self-conscious and awkward. Not in a "I hope nobody sees what a geek I am" self-conscious, but...I don't know. I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. All of the negative gamer stereotypes start filling my mind and I desperately don't want to exhibit any of those traits. My local store has at least two women on staff, but of course as soon as I go to one of the women to be rung up, I find myself suddenly worrying that I'm going to come across as a creeper somehow. And this only happens to me in comics shops. Down at Target, or the bookstore, or whatever, I don't have any of those feelings. I have no idea why. :/

I actually would enjoy getting in on some of their conversations that I overhear...but I usually just end up keeping my head down.
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Charlotte_D wrote:Has anyone here read The Young Avengers?

I'm so relieved Wiccan and Hulkling will show up in the New Avengers. Waiting for Miss America to show up somewhere with a significant role. That character cannot be forgotten. No

I even have the omnibus!
Miss America is currently in Siege,it's part of Secret Wars.
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

View user profile http://www.superheroineworld.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Anyone read the first issue of Angela: Queen of Hel?
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:48 am

Ive read the latest Squirrel Girl (which is good)
New Avengers (I find it okay...But im not really excited by the second issue or the villain.)
And Doctor Strange last week (Which had beautiful art)

But thats about it
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:36 am

I wanna read New Avengers for Squirrel Girl, but it's really low on my list of priorities so I'll have to skip it.

Might look for it online eventually though. I have a feeling it won't be a long lived series anyway lol.

What is different about this incarnation of Doctor Strange as compared to previous versions?
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:43 pm

New Avengers has been pretty disappointing.

The art is slightly growing on me (Squirrel Girl's battle face in that one panel is awesome and I want it as an avatar), but I still don't think it is very good.

The story is confusing and uninteresting as well. Why are there Impossible Creatures* as the bad guys? Is this evil Reed Richards the Ultimate Reed I have heard so much about? Why is a comic featuring Squirrel Girl so goshdarn dark?

(*If you get this reference, you are my new best friend)

I think I will stick with it for the first arc since I like Ewing and I like the team but it has not impressed me so far. It's actually killed a bit of my enthusiasm for The Ultimates as well.

Angela: Queen of Hel had a great first issue. This is the best the series has been so far, I think, and perhaps a better starting place than the last number one.

That said, what was up with Sera in the ending? I didn't get that and it worries me.
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

View user profile http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:48 am

This Doctor Strange is not so different from previous versions to be honest. It plays him as being less all knowing and more 'I have cast a spell of 'is she into me?' and it is saying yes!' With a a mix of looking like an idiot and some 'i don't know whats going on' added to being the sorcerer supreme.
At the moment I would compare it to Silver Surfer and describe it as a more serious less funny more story driven version of that title.
The real grab for this book is the artwork, which has an artist with a real talent for drawing the impossible.

As for Uncanny Avengers, im kinda on the fence at the moment. I loved the first issue. The introduction of the island, the idea of a superteam being backed by AIM, and such left me loving the first issue.
The second issue though ended up being unecesarily bloody and I was already done with the big bad by the time the second issue ended. I don't really need that much gore in my stories. I'll read a couple issues more to see which aestetic really runs this book, but if it keeps being so gruesome, I will be forced to drop it.

Squirrel Girl though was very fun. We got to see Squirel mom, had her really hit it off with Nancy, were introduced to another smalltime villain, and overall it was just a really fun issue.
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Katrien Caffeine wrote:New Avengers has been pretty disappointing.

The art is slightly growing on me (Squirrel Girl's battle face in that one panel is awesome and I want it as an avatar), but I still don't think it is very good.

The story is confusing and uninteresting as well. Why are there Impossible Creatures* as the bad guys? Is this evil Reed Richards the Ultimate Reed I have heard so much about? Why is a comic featuring Squirrel Girl so goshdarn dark?

(*If you get this reference, you are my new best friend)

I think I will stick with it for the first arc since I like Ewing and I like the team but it has not impressed me so far. It's actually killed a bit of my enthusiasm for The Ultimates as well.

Angela: Queen of Hel had a great first issue. This is the best the series has been so far, I think, and perhaps a better starting place than the last number one.

That said, what was up with Sera in the ending? I didn't get that and it worries me.
Lol wasn't Impossible Creatures a video game from the early 2000s?

And I found the first arc of Angela a little confusing, so this one already feels like it's starting out stronger and more cohesive. I thought it also did a good job recapping for new readers. Also, DEM LIP LOCKS.

The only thing I found a little worrying was that Sera looked significantly thinner/whiter in some of the panels. I realllyyyy hope they keep her look consistent and in line with what she was in AA.

I've brought it up in TMS comments a few times, but I'd love to see them in the MCU. I have a fantasy where "the planet" Hulk and Thor are going to visit will be Heven instead of Planet Hulk (if those rumors about them visiting a planet are even true). Would be a great way to introduce them potentially and have them spin off into their own movie. Wink
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Nuuni Nuunani wrote:Squirrel Girl though was very fun. We got to see Squirel mom, had her really hit it off with Nancy, were introduced to another smalltime villain, and overall it was just a really fun issue.
Yes, I really loved the issue 1 of SG. Same old vibe, and it was great to see her mother. I'm excited for this series to keep developing it's hilarious supporting cast especially lol.
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:20 am

Current series im following are:
New Avengers (Why are they making everyone into Tony Stark ripoffs?)
Silver Surfer (Kinda like a spacey Doctor Who. ^^ )
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (Why did they have to kill moon boy? >_> )
Ms Marvel (So much fun ^^ )
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (One of the most refreshing comics in a while. ^^ )
All New X-men (I have a weakness for seeing the original team. ^^; )

And I intend to at least look into Powerman and Iron Fist when it comes out. (Bring back the magic tiara!)
And Hellcat (Sounds like fun. ^^ )
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:22 am

I don't think Moon Boy is dead? They didn't kill him in the first issue that I can remember, and I don't think the second issue has released yet.
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm

They had Devil Dinosaur end up in the present after finding a bleeding and dying Moon Boy who said he was finished, and asked Devil Dinosaur to avenge him. >_>
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:17 pm

I guess I had a stroke or something while reading those pages...
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 am

I picked up Spider-Man #1 on my last visit to the comics store. This is the Miles Morales Spider-Man, who I like, and it was written by Brian Michael Bendis, whose dialogue I usually enjoy, and the art is absolutely amazeballs, by an artist I hadn't heard of named Sara Pichelli. The story is fairly standard Spider-Man fare, but done well and a lot of fun to read.

The other cool thing I noticed was an ad inside for a new Mockingbird series coming out in March, with an all-female creative team: Chelsea Cain, Kate Niemcyzk, and cover by Noelle Jones. I know a little bit about the character, mostly from Agents of SHIELD and the Marvel Super Heroes RPG from the 80s, but Noelle Jones' cover makes it look like it's going to be super-fun.

Also still reading and enjoying Ms Marvel, as usual. Adrian Alphona's artwork was a lot of goofy fun and I liked his caricatures, but I have to admit that I absolutely love Takeshi Miyazawa's art, so I hope Marvel keeps him on this book for a long while.

I feel badly that I haven't picked up A-Force. I said I'd check it out if they did A-Force on Earth instead of Battleworld, because I had no interest in Secret Wars. Marvel did just that, and...well, I flipped through the first issue and it looked a lot like the Secret Wars stuff. I may have gotten entirely the wrong impression but I got the feeling I was walking into the middle of a complicated story with starships and aliens and people talking about things that had already happened and... sigh. I dunno, it's silly to let myself be discouraged by that, especially since I know they always include a summary of what's going on and comics writers are supposed to tell a self-contained story each issue even though they're also telling an ongoing/overarching story. Nonetheless, I ended up putting it back on the shelf.

Is anyone else reading A-Force? Is it worth getting into?

EDIT: Oh! And Hellcat! I haven't picked that up yet, either, though it keeps staring at me from the bottom shelf at the store. Wondercube, are you reading it?

Last edited by mysterycycle on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Hellcat, which one should never do)
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:59 pm

The SW A-Force series was very boring and nothing special. The post-SW series in nothing above and beyond, but it's much more solid and compelling so far. Much stronger start. I'd recommend checking out the first couple issues to see if it's for you. Smile
wondercube

fairy
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 pm

I'll have to take a look when I get a chance. Maybe I'll just go digital for that one if I do, though a recent trip to a new comics store that just opened in the area reminded me that there's a TON of stuff on the shelves I really would like to look at. It's a good problem to have (as far as the comics industry is concerned; not so much for my financial situation).

Ms. Marvel has a new artist with issue #4, but the artist is very good, so I'm happy. (I would name the artist, but I don't have the issue with me at the moment and Marvel's website is terribly unhelpful) Also, a new story arc is starting, and it's fun so far, in keeping with the rest of the series. I really enjoy reading this book; it's become a regular staple for me.
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top