DC Comics Discussion Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: DC Comics Discussion Thread

Post by kryptoknight on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 am

Nuuni Nuunani wrote:Rather than jumping straight into the comics, you might want to read the promo comics
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
On free comic book day, they released forty mini comics of five pages each to give people a taste of each books flavor.

Thanks! Some of those were pretty helpful in narrowing down my choices.

So, based on countless recommendations I finally read Batgirl. (Starting with issue 35 and her move to Burnside.) I've given myself 24 hrs before writing about it so I've had time to think on it and I'm honestly still not sure how I feel about it. There's a lot there that's good about it. Yet I can't help the feeling that I'm reading a completely different Batgirl. She doesn't feel like Barbara to me. I can't shake the feeling that this current approach would work better if I were reading about Stephanie Brown as the Batgirl of Burnside.

Barbara looks and acts much younger here than I'm used to. Plus, hasn't she already been through college? Or did that get erased in one of the all-to-frequent crises? Suddenly she's gone from Oracle; a confident and powerful mentor/information broker who has overcome great personal trials to the current Barbara who looks and acts like a young, far less confident, and (honestly) occasionally flighty girl practically fresh out of high school. I'm by no means saying she isn't intelligent, she definitely comes off as gifted, but there's definitely a change to her personality I'll have to adjust to.

(Also, I already hopelessly ship Babs & Frankie. Why must I ship things that will never happen?)
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

View user profile http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:46 am

Ah, I can answer that one ^^
Pre crisis had characters who has been around for decades. With JLA and JSA having second generations.

When crisis on infinite earths happened, they rebooted it all and established that all the current heroes had only been active for ten years.
And when new 52 happened, they rebooted it again, establishing that they had only been active for five years.
According to both writers on new 52 (the current one and Simone) on Batgirl, their takes on Batgirl are of a younger Barbara, from before she takes on the role of Oracle.

And honestly, I rather prefer a Barbara book over anyone else. People may complain that she was better as Oracle, but if you look into Barbaras history, 2011 is the first time in her entire history that Barbara has ever actually soloed a book in her entire history. Sure she acts a bit like Stephanie would, but the last time we saw Barbara in action was the late 70s. In multi story volumes of Detective Comics. We never got a chance to see how Barbara would have done on her own in a book focused on her. Or get a chance to really explore her character and personality as Batgirl.

On top of that, back when Stepahanie was headlining things, Barbara commented on some similarities between Steph and her back in the day, which all adds up to a rather sensible portrayal of Batgirl.

Oh, and out of curiosity, of that list of comics, did any catch your eye?
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

View user profile http://greenartfrostmagefire.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:58 pm

The thing that made me want to pick up Batgirl, starting with the 'Batgirl of Burnside' arc, is Babs Tarr's artwork. I haven't read any of the books, but browsing through an issue at the comics store made me consider getting into it, based on her art style alone.
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 am

mysterycycle wrote:The thing that made me want to pick up Batgirl, starting with the 'Batgirl of Burnside' arc, is Babs Tarr's artwork. I haven't read any of the books, but browsing through an issue at the comics store made me consider getting into it, based on her art style alone.
Heres a nice Batgirl mini comic free of charge ^^
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterycycle on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:18 am

Nuuni Nuunani wrote:Heres a nice Batgirl mini comic free of charge ^^

Heh - awesome! I dig that art style. Also noticed Garnet and Pearl from "Steven Universe" in the background of one panel. Nice.
mysterycycle

flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:37 am

mysterycycle wrote:

Heh - awesome! I dig that art style. Also noticed Garnet and Pearl from "Steven Universe" in the background of one panel. Nice.

Batgirl is big on background cameos XD
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by kryptoknight on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Nuuni Nuunani wrote:Ah, I can answer that one ^^
Oh, and out of curiosity, of that list of comics, did any catch your eye?

Based on those little previews I think I'll be looking into The Flash, Green Lantern: Lost Army, and Sinestro.

I've already read Harley and would probably like it if they embraced her and Ivy's relationship rather than little hints here and there and that awful costume. I've also already professed my love for the goofy fun that is Bat-Mite and Bizarro.
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

View user profile http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Tell me if anything interesting happens in those titles. I sadly don't follow any of them, so all I know is several new characters were introduced in Flash, and that Sinestro might be a tad over ambitious.
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:27 am

Well yesterday was a DC news day.

They announce that their uncancelling Omega Men due to popular demand. Though sadly, the same does not apply to Justice League United. At this point, I can only hope that it is like how they cancelled Justice League Dark to rename it Dark Universe.

The cover for Study Hall of Justice is super adorable. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I confess, I had no idea what the ages of these characters would be and imagined teenagers. This is so much more awesome.
And apparently it is to release awesome giant graphic novels yearly. Hmm...That would mean that for the first issue to be releasing in Febuary, and given the amount of work, he has probably been on it since Lil' Gotham ended...

Finally, Justice League 3001 has announced that it will be an all female cast by January. Given the december issue announced someone will die, I have a grim suspicion of how it will get that way...^^;
Though that leaves me wondering who the heck would be on it.
The current league's female roster consists of a future Flash, Wonder Woman, and tecnically Guy Gardner in a confusing way that makes me not quite sure of the characters sexuality, much less how the writer views it....
I suppose Fire and Ice might join the team, though they formed a Superbuddies group with Beetle and Booster to protect the earth and rebuild it...Though I suppose its possible that any surviving male characters from the league could just switch places with them...
And the only other female characters in the comic are evil Lois Lane clone, and the prime Starro host...Though I doubt they will join the team...
Hmm...

Oh, and im looking forward to the November issue of Batgirl [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I know people insist that Stephanie should be in Batgirl, but honestly I wanna see em team up and fight crime! The peak into their interaction in the Batgirl annual made me want to see more. XD
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by HarrisonGrey on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Um, who here has read Black Canary #4?  And does everyone have the same theory of
Spoiler:
who that blonde haired, blue eyed, ninja girl in white with a vested interest in Dinah's well being is? Because I'm pretty sure it's Sara Lance making her first comic appearance as White Canary
  and if it is I'm kind of amazed.

Also, I love that both Starfire and Grayson decided that some fan favorite comics from before the New 52 were suddenly in continuity again.
HarrisonGrey

bug
ghost

View user profile http://luchaquest.net/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Oh right, I forgot to tell you about that didn't I? Yeah, I figured you would be quite pleased by that particular event.
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:57 pm

DC series I am following:
Superman (I really like this writer. ^^ He has a good grasp of the character and you can tell where hes pulling his inspiration from.)

Action Comics (Not liking the current storyline I must confess...I think the writers just not used to a golden age styled Superman)

Batgirl (Woo! This series has been a real treat! And seeing Stephanie Brown pop up was neato. ^^ )

Catwoman (Im liking the current writer. It made for an almost seamless writer shift I feel with the internal monologue.)

Wonder Woman (The writing is far better than Azzarellos, but I am starting to get a bit face palmy over the artwork I must confess. ^^; Its very...Well...Id kinda prefer Liefeld on the book.)

Legend of Wonder Woman (Best Wonder Woman series ever. @_@ )

Bombshells (One of the best books ive ever read. We have six batgirls and two batboys! And the Baroness is leading an army of zombies across Europe!)

Black Canary (I really hope the sales improve on this book because nobody is buying it. >_> )

Justice League 3001 (All female superhero team with Ice and Fire on it!)

Doctor Fate (Annnd Fate is dead. O.o and blind. Their sure not pulling their punches with Khalid.)

Starfire (Dolphin kisses, Atlee, romance and fun under the sun...Whats not to love with this book?)

Titans Hunt (Im rather enjoying this book. Particularly since it seems to be focusing on the pre crisis
version of the Titans. ^^ )

Superman: American Alien (This book is REALLY heavy. A Clark Kent centric book that tells a very human story about a boy growing into a hero.)

Superman: Lois and Clark (How long will this series keep going? I will be quite satisfied if it becomes an ongoing title, though I confess I expected its cancellation to be announced by now.)

Batman and Robin Eternal: (Cassandra Cain~ Bluebird~ Im totally shipping them!)

Grayson (First Dick Grayson book ive actually enjoyed. ^^ )

Gotham Academy (Very cute book. I love the art, the writing and Maps is a treat.)

We Are Robin (Really enjoyable book that shows exactly what Alfred would do if Bruce was gone.)

And I intend to eventually pick up
Legends of Tommorow (All hail the all-mighty anthology titles!)
Wonder Woman '77 (Yay for 70s Wonder Woman!)
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top