TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dungeons & Dragons Campaign - Page 3 Empty Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by wondercube Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Katrien Caffeine wrote:Actually, I would be up for written RP if someone wants to make a thread somewhere. I've tried it before and its pretty fun.
Saaaweeeeeeeet~

Is there any particular genre you/anyone else might be interested in? I usually go with some degree of fantasy/sci-fi. We can even implement dice-rolls to determine the effectiveness of actions, if desired. I don't think there's a dice rolling function on this site, but there might be an outside app that could serve that purpose.

Dice definitely not required.

BAH. Now I need to start brainstorming/world-building. I have a few old RP worlds I could revive, but I'm always happy to come up with a new world/universe. Razz
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:56 pm

wondercube wrote:I've anyone is interested in a written small/large group RP or 1x1, I could be down for that too. Very Happy
Not to derail the thread, but I would absolutely be interested in forums-based roleplay. Maybe we could petition our forums overlords to create an area on the site specifically for that!

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:13 pm

PixelScientist wrote:
wondercube wrote:If anyone is interested in a written small/large group RP or 1x1, I could be down for that too. Very Happy
Not to derail the thread, but I would absolutely be interested in forums-based roleplay. Maybe we could petition our forums overlords to create an area on the site specifically for that!
Typo fixed~
o__Q

But yes, that might be a good idea. Otherwise we could just do it in the general chat section?

High Fantasy (like FF9, Dragon Age, Witcher/etc)
Medieval Fantasy (Like GoTs but less gross)
Sci-Fi Fantasy (Like Star Ocean?)
Post-apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy (I actually have a fairly developed setting/world/mythos for this one)
Dystopian Sci-Fi (like Hunger Games, The Giver, F451, etc)
Magical boys/girls (because lolololol - kind of have a world/universe for this already)
*just using those game/book universes as examples, but I'm open to using pre-existing universes with original characters (I'd be down for a Fate/Stay Night or Persona type RP, for instance)

High medieval scifi fantasy dystopian magical boy/girl RP anyone? xD

Open to other ideas, just the ones bouncing off the top of my head.

Lordy, I'm sorry to veer so off topic from DnD...

EDIT: Just made a thread for this, so let's continue there
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Katrien Caffeine wrote:Not really... I think I'm going to leave the time up to each DM.

And speaking of that, I'm thinking I might end up having to DM one of these campaigns. I've DM'ed before but that's kind of why I'm so reluctant to try again. It will be really clunky as I never quite got the hang of it.

If anyone else can DM, I would prefer that but for now I'll say I'm going to try it again. study

@The Themysciran: If you were to choose a day that would be best for your campaign, what would it be? I will leave that up to you and I will take one of the other days. I could easily do Friday or Saturday, and could do Sunday as long as it isn't too late.

I think Saturday would be optimal, especially if it's a late game because we can stay up as late as we want and not be exhausted from a work day.

I should also throw it out there that I'm just finishing up a semester, so I won't be able to really play until after I'm done.  I finish Aug 7, so maybe give me until the 14th to read the DM Manual and become a pro with the rules?  That'll give my players plenty of time to create their characters at least.  I think I'm going to do the first 5e published adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver, it was the story released in the starter set and I heard from other DnD newbs that it was a pretty good introduction.

So that's 17 of us in total by my count (KatherineTheGrape and the bf isn't on the list but I think that's all who's missing?) so if we get one other DM, we can have two groups of 5, one group of 4, plus the three dms.  Tony mentioned on page 1 that he had a homebrew campaign ready to go if anyone was interested, would you still be able to do that Tony?
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocturama Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 am

Hello everybody!

Cool that there are so many players coming together! I had a similar idea a few weeks back and set up a Roll20 campaign as a meeting place – but I think have one channel for players to meet is better, so if it's okay, I'll post the link to this forum over there as well. I'll leave the campaign open in case somebody wants to use it for gaming, voice chatting, and whatnot.

The link is here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So, I'm hoping I'm not hijacking the thread, but speaking of one-shots, I don't really have time to run a campaign (and I live in Germany, so the time difference wouldn't make that hard anyway). Instead, I could run one or two sessions of a number of games via voice or video chat (choice of the players). I'm a bit like an overcaffeinated squirrel when it comes to RPGs, and buy/try something new every other week (curse you, Bundle of Holding and Kickstarter!), so I have a lot of games to offer.

Here's some stuff I could run without too much preparation time:

Anything Fate: If you are curious about Fate, I'd be happy to prepare something. We can do our own setting, and there are a lot of pre-made Worlds of Fate from magic cats to adults returning to the fantasy world they defended as kids. An I'm always looking for playtester for my own setting, which is an anime inspired setting about schizophrenic fairy tale superheroes in 1870 Germany.

Fiasco: A game about great ambitions and poor self-control. If you like movies by the Coen brothers, or enjoy plans spiraling our of control, than this is the game for you. GMless, and has tons of setting seeds, called playsets.

Golden Sky Stories: A heartwarming Japanese game about animal spirits in a small town helping with everyday problems. If you are like me and tear up every time you watch a Studio Ghibli movie because of cuteness and awww, you will like this game.

Monsterhearts: Takes everything that's subtext about twilight and makes it text. Teenager monsters as an allegory for growing up, terrible relationships, and high school cliques. Explicitly incorporates sex into the game system, just so you know.

Fear Itself/Trail of Cthulhu: Investigative horror. Um, not much more to say to this.

Wuxia (played with PDQ#): I have a ready-to-play scenario totally not stolen from Dragon Gate Inn, but I'm ready for any kind of Wuxia.

Itras By: A Norwegian game set in a fictional surrealist city inspired by the 1920s. Has a very interesting chance card system, where

Monster of the Week: Allows for games from Buffy, to Supernatural, to X-Files. The precise setting will be decided during play. It's a fun, easy game, and powered by the Apocalpyse World Engine, which I really love.

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (Cortex+): A cool, flexible superhero game with pre-made characters from the Marvel universe.

Okay, that said, I'm available at CET (GMT+2), which means I'll probably only able to run something at a US-friendly time at the weekends. Also, I'm from Germany and not a native speaker. My English should be good enough to play, but not perfect – I hope that's okay.

Nocturama

rock
dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Okay, I'm really not going to be able to DM this... Neutral

I've been looking into everything and it has already caused a lot of anxiety for me. I just don't think I could run it smoothly enough, especially if we have new players.

I still intend to participate as a player since I know I can do it, but we'll still have to find another DM somewhere if we want multiple groups.

Second, I'm thinking we need to get a definite group of five players and work with that. I really don't like doing that since I want everyone to have a chance to play, but if we only have one DM at the moment I want to see if we can at least get a definite group of players for that DM. We can plan for the rest when we have more DM's.

The question would then be, how do we do this? We could just go by the first people to sign up but that seems pretty cheap. Or we could just continue this the way its currently going which is confusing and hard for me to keep up with... I really don't know how to organize this.

Sorry for the negativity today, but as I said this has been making me very anxious and it's kind of coming through here. I really want everyone to get to play but I really don't feel comfortable DMing a campaign...

Suggestions?
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:47 pm

It's okay, Kat! Just follow your heart! I love you
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Buxnalaus Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:49 pm

That's understandable, from everything I've heard DMing can be a daunting prospect even for people with experience.

Maybe the best way to narrow the field somewhat would be to have the DM we currently have pick a time for the weekly session that works for them? That way at least our prospective player pool can see if that time works for them, or if they'd rather wait for the second or third DM we find that might have a better time in mind?

ETA: Another method for picking a group of five could be to have interested players send the DM a PM with the character they have in mind? (Race, Class, Alignment, maybe a small blurb about who they are) And then a selection could be made by the DM based on group composition? That way;

- The DM wouldn't wind up having to corral a party of five Chaotic Neutral Rogues.

- People would get to play their desired class/role (there'd be no instance of 'I really want to play a Wizard... but all the rest of the party are casters and we need a Fighter'.)

Just an idea, though.

Last edited by Buxnalaus on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buxnalaus
Buxnalaus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Yeah. That makes sense.

Also, it's worth mentioning that a lot of my anxiety right now is coming from being stuck at my Grandma's house in Mississippi. I'm really anxious to get back to my apartment... I'll be better in a few days.

@TheThemysciran: So is there a time Saturday that would work best for you? I'm free all day Saturday.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:01 pm

We're free all day too, I like to sleep in if I can though and I think maybe 8 or 9 CT would be a good sweet spot; we've all had supper and can sit around with soda and chips like a TT should be played XD

I think what I'll do is make a spreadsheet of everyone's availability, and I do agree with Bux, it'll be very helpful for me and future DMs to know what classes everyone wants to play, so if anyone's already decided or know at least a few classes that they're comfortable with, please post and I'll add it to the spreadsheet!

Scarlet mentioned on TMS that she's making a tiefling ranger, Secretagentr is thinking Barbarian/Rogue multiclass, and Chris is thinking about rogue but he's not dedicated to it.

PS. Don't worry about it Katrien Smile I'll put another call out on Things We Saw Today.
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Okay, that sounds good.

I plan to play a Warlock.

Last edited by Katrien Caffeine on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

Back to top Go down

Post by Buxnalaus Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 pm

I was thinking Half-Elf Sorcerer. 5e makes Sorcerers look like a lot of fun.
Buxnalaus
Buxnalaus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Velez Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Hey Themysciran. Sorry for the late reply. I just noticed your post.

Yeah, I have a very detailed homebrew setting ready to go. It has several nations, continents, and cultures already made. Plot hooks and plot threads abound, and there are plenty of interesting NPC already pre-built while still leaving enough room to allow for creativity and flexibility at the discretion of the DM. Some of these countries are based on actual existing worlds during choice time periods with certain cultural mindsets, some take blatant inspiration from video games, some take inspiration from films, some use the pre-built D&D lore (4th Edition, admittedly) and run with it, and some are completely made up. It also has a timeline, languages and dialects, and each country has its own culture. Some parts of it are classic high fantasy, others are Steampunk, others are Sci-Fi, others are Cyberpunk.

What I don't currently have is an actual campaign setup, but I can give you my notes on the campaign I'm running right now. I also have no less than three different ideas for some really cool campaigns that we could play as part of this world.

I'm probably going to choose a Ranger class, and my preferred day is Sunday, but I think I may be able to manage Saturday, depending on the time.

Again, sorry for the late reply.
Tony Velez
Tony Velez

grass
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:47 pm

No problem Tony!

Also, I should also ask you guys what archetype you want.
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Okay, I got a spreadsheet started. It looks like there's names signed up but they never posted what time is good for them, or possibly said so over at TMS soooooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 pm

As far as characters I've made an Elf wizard who'll have two levels in druid to comply with his backstory. I've made a bit of a mixture of the charlatan and sage background for the sages language bonuses with the charlatans proficiency bonuses. I'll take circle of the moon for my druid, and probably either enchantment or necromancy for my wizard.
As far as DMing I've never tried before, but after getting/reading the 5e dm manual and playing a few sessions as a player for a catch up I'd be comfortable trying a one shot as one to see if I feel capable of it.
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:05 pm

To make times easier I'll just say whatever day we choose I'll be turning to one of my off days anyways just to make it easier on me.
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by kryptoknight Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:34 am

A Saturday campaign would probably work best for me as well since I don't work that day or have class. As for character I have a dual-wield Ranger I'd like to take a crack at, but the Bard is tempting as well... I may have to play around with them a bit before deciding.
kryptoknight
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:11 pm

I didn't expect Rangers to be so popular XD
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by kryptoknight Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:18 pm

Rangers are the best.  We get cuddle buddies animal companions.
kryptoknight
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm working on Barbarian/Ranger homebrew centaur for fun/backup, so I get the appeal
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Velez Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm mostly just in it for the archery.

In 5E, Fighters have an archery build as well, but it's not the same.
Tony Velez
Tony Velez

grass
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:52 pm

I wouldn't mind the archery benefits on my High Elf, but I already want him to multi class in druid, so would probably just take the sharpshooter feat.
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by locuas Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:32 pm

i'll join.

locuas

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeryl Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Themysciran, I plan on playing rogue, perhaps cross classing with a ranger later. I need to do some reading on species bonuses so I MAY go half-elf

I tend to be a nite owl as well, I just need to know a specific start time, as my partner and I share a laptop, and he's currently studying for his CAD, so a portion of compy time is a must for him. He'll make sure to be off when required though he's cool like that.
Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top