TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign Empty A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign

Post by PixelScientist Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Original discussion retained for posterity/reference:

Campaign concept

An alternate universe where superheroes are real. Characters will be pulled into events taking place in Seattle, Washington, which is a major city located on the West Coast of the United States of America.

Participants

1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
  2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
  3. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
  4. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
  5. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
  6. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Anyone who signs up after this point will be added to an alternate list. You are free to create a character (once we've determine how that occurs), but I cannot ensure that they will be in the campaign.

Last edited by PixelScientist on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 6 times in total

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign Empty Re: A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign

Post by PixelScientist Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm

I was bandying around the idea of a second campaign in the comments of today's TWST article, and I think that I have the outline of a simple concept that can scale pretty well to multiple groups.

Essentially, I want to come up with a miniaturized comic book universe. Participants would create characters existing within the universe, whether it's a superhero or a mundie.

Other groups could run simultaneously within this universe, whether they're in the same city or in a different location entirely. As campaigns progress, the events of one group could impact the other for a larger, overarching story. Additionally, there could be times when characters from one group join another temporarily or members of multiple groups fight together (or even against one another!) for whatever reason.

This could also work on a larger scale with forums-based roleplay, but I'm wary of intruding on concepts that are currently in development on this sote!

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign Empty Re: A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign

Post by Katherinethegrape Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:32 pm

I would love to be a part of the second game. I'm up for whatever. I just miss doing tabletop.
Katherinethegrape
Katherinethegrape
global mod
global mod

fairy
dragon

http://katherinethegrape.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Added! If I can get two or three more, then we'll start moving forward. I'll be working on putting together some sort of concept in the meantime.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I've started working on a simple concept based on the idea that participants are people living in an alternate universe where superheroes are very real. I'll be posting world-building information later, from which people can craft their character concepts.

I haven't yet settled on a ruleset, but I'm thinking of adapting something like second edition DC Heroes, Mutants and Masterminds, or GURPS for the mechanics/character creation process. If people have a preference, please let me know! At the worst, we'll just implement a very simple P/F or /roll20 system.

I'm looking for the following from people:

• Another two to three people
  • Your availabilities
I'm on the West Coast of the United States (PDT / UTC -7:00 currently). The games would likely occur over weekends. My schedule is fairly flexible during this time, so I can start as early and end as late as people would like. Ideally, we'd play twice a month and maybe even more frequently if there's enough interest and people are available.

Feel free to send people this way or reach out to me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Borland Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:52 pm

I've heard the Hero System is pretty easy to use, but that's purely second hand information from other people. About the only other thing I know about it is the fact that they included rules for tripping over your own cape in the Lucha Libre expansion
Gordon Borland
Gordon Borland

ghost
fighting

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm not familiar with that, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion! Also, welcome to the forums.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Borland Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks, I think I'm like 8 hours out of sync with near enough everyone. It's a bit like being in a low budget Sci-Fi movie.
Gordon Borland
Gordon Borland

ghost
fighting

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Pshaw! Well, on a good note, I sit at a desk most of the day and have the occasional downtime between builds. It gives me a lot of flexibility in doing things like replying to posts, commenting on articles, or making UI updates.

Scotland is UTC +1:00, correct? I'm thinking that for the campaign, we might start late morning/early afternoon in my time (UTC -7:00) and most likely on a Saturday. That would hopefully allow you and others to play without too many issues!

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Borland Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure we are, and even then I'm a night owl so I should be around for whatever is most convenient for everyone else.
Gordon Borland
Gordon Borland

ghost
fighting

Back to top Go down

Post by zanite Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:44 am

I'm up for this! I'm English so same time zone as Gordon (I think? Do you guys still do time-saving?)

I do shift work but I'm usually around in the evening and usually sometimes during the day.
zanite
zanite

water
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherinethegrape Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:30 am

The Hero system is anything but easy to use, or at least not when when I was last playing Champions. It's still one of the best superhero RPGs in existence, though. Mutants & Masterminds is a second, though, and I'd prefer to use that.

For me, weekends are best. I'm EST, and I have a pretty much 9-5 job, so I can do evenings on the weekdays as long as they don't run too long.
Katherinethegrape
Katherinethegrape
global mod
global mod

fairy
dragon

http://katherinethegrape.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Borland Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:22 pm

yeah we still do time saving up here, which is great fun when you forget to update anything.

Like I say I've only heard about it from second-hand sources so I imagine Mutants and Masterminds is easier to use like you say.
Gordon Borland
Gordon Borland

ghost
fighting

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretagentR Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:07 am

I would like to join. I'm est. Saturday's would work for me. Currently, I'm working on Sunday's 2-6, I'd be able to play after if we choose Sunday. I don't work till late on Monday so I'm ok with staying up late on Sunday. Let me know if I can join.
SecretagentR
SecretagentR

water

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 am

SecretagentR wrote:I would like to join. [..] Let me know if I can join.
Consider yourself added!

I may be a little incommunicado this week (launch festivities, all-day planning for the upcoming months, all sprinkled with a few meetings), but I'll be using the spare time that I have to come up with a concrete idea, investigate the recommended RPG systems, and then relay the character creation process to you folks. My goal is to get something started before month's end.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:10 am

Just following up to say that I haven't forgotten about this endeavor. A couple of things have happened simultaneously which greatly decreased my bandwidth. I'm hoping that I'll have time this week!

Thank you for your patience, folks.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretagentR Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:59 am

No problem. I'm looking forward to playing. I've never played a RP game online before, just in person. My experience is with D&D and another system my DM created (a fun space opera). I'm excited to try something new. Take all the time you need.
SecretagentR
SecretagentR

water

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarrakul Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:59 pm

If you're still looking for players, I'd be up for a game. Saturdays are generally pretty good for me, although I wouldn't be able to guarantee every weekend. I'm EST/EDT (UTC -5/4), timewise, so that should be fine.

Jarrakul

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey there, Jarrakul! You got me just as I was updating the first post of this thread. We were still looking for bodies, so you're absolutely free to join if you're interested.

Just as a heads up, we're in the process of picking a system in which to run the campaign. While that's occurring, I'm working on putting together a story and world-building resources. My goal is to have something live by the end of this month, but I cannot promise that that will happen.

I've added your name to the list.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarrakul Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Awesome, thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Wish I could weigh in on which system to use, but I've never actually played in a superhero game before, so I'm not personally familiar with those systems. I do know a few very simple systems that are sufficiently general that they could work, but they're probably better for one-shots than for campaigns.

Jarrakul

Back to top Go down

Post by mandalameg Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Hey,

If there is any room for new players, I'd love to hop on potential list. Seems pretty stacked at the moment, however.

EST< 9:00-5:00 similar situation as KatherineTheGrape Smile
mandalameg
mandalameg

electric
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello, mandalameg. You are the last person that I'll be adding to the list. You've made the cut!

Anyone who signs up after this point will be added to an alternate list. You are free to create a character (once we've determine how that occurs), but I cannot ensure that they will be in the campaign.

Per my earlier comments, if there are enough people to make a second campaign, then I would highly encourage you folks to start one up. It would help build a single cohesive superhero universe that can be used to influence all participants.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by zanite Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:59 pm

So would that mean events from one campaign would affect another?
zanite
zanite

water
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:12 pm

That would be my hope! The effects might not be direct, but I'd like to incorporate events from one game in another. I think that it would be a fun way to make everything cohesive and demonstrate that people's actions do have impact.

Of course, this is all predicated on the hope that someone else will be running that group. My bandwidth will be decreasing in upcoming months as we start taking on new projects, so I'm loathe to pick up a second campaign.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by mandalameg Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:36 am

So, how does (mostly the DM) and other players feel about something slightly cross-genre? Superhero melting into how far of a breadth here?

I am not a superhero fan, or rather, the canonical sense so the only real things I have to draw from in that realm are anime. Specifically, Magic Girl Troupes. Does that type of character design sound like something that would work for this campaign? If not, please let me know and I can think about something new and/or open it up for someone who is a die hard superhero fan.

Thanks~
mandalameg
mandalameg

electric
psychic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top