TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones s5e8 (spoilers)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game of Thrones s5e8 (spoilers) Empty Game of Thrones s5e8 (spoilers)

Post by aesta Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Dorne looks really cool in the opening credits! (Yes, this is the first time all season I've actually paid attention to the intro.)

Anyway, time for another super fast, tongue-in-cheek recap!

This week in Meereen, Tyrion mentions how Dany got the name "Stormborn" for a quick second. (Pretty sure it took five seasons for somebody to explain that.) Dany decides not to kill Jorah, at Tyrion's behest, and instead kicks him out of Meereen. Tyrion and Dany bond over wine and father issues, and Dany makes him her adviser. Jorah literally sells himself back into slavery just so he can fight in front of Dany, because YOLO AMIRITE ???

In King's Landing, Cersei's still locked up, defiant, and Acting about it. According to Qyburn, who kindly comes a-visiting, Kevan is now head of the Small Council, and Tommen refuses to eat/locks himself in his room/refuses see anyone. (So, Tommen's still very much a kid, according to D&D, which is incredibly creepy considering the changes they made to Margaery's storyline.) Cersei's prospects at trial don't look good, and Qyburn urges her to confess and avoid trial.

Over in Braavos, Arya finally becomes Cat of the Canals! But with a different name! And also her same face, womp womp. She's tasked with watching (and maybe poisoning) a corrupt bookie.

At Winterfell, Theon tells Sansa about his torture. Sansa says she's glad he was tortured, because Bran and Rickon, prompting Theon to confess that he didn't actually kill Bran and Rickon, so that knowledge bomb has finally been dropped. Ramsay disagrees with daddy dearest Roose on how to handle Stannis, leading to this gem of a line -  "We hit first, and hit hard, and leave a feast for the crows." (Cue Benny Hill.)

Up at the Wall, Olly the Probable Plot Device asks Sam why Jon wants to save the wildlings, and Sam goes all big brotherly, lecturing Olly about making hard choices that you know are right even when no one agrees with you - while the camera zooms in on Olly, so that's obviously going to end well. This has all been very subtle.

North of the Wall, Jon makes it to Hardhome and boy howdy are there ever a bunch of wildlings up there. RATTLESHIRT IS THERE AND HE LOOKS GREAT AND COOL and then he is beaten to death by Tormund for making some dumb homophobic insult. God damn it, D&D. God. Fucking. Just. Everything about that. GAH.

Anyway, Jon gives an inspirational speech to the wildling decision makers(one of them is Katrine from Borgen, in case anyone else is psyched by that development) and shows off his dragonglass. Tormund backs him up, but it isn't enough to sell more than a few of them on the allegiance - including Karsi, a badass lady who manages to become the most likeable character on this hell train of a show within a few short minutes of being introduced. The new friendlies load into canoes to head south - including Karsi loading up her two adorable daughters (She's a mom and a badass! I like her so much!) when some shit starts to go down, because of course it does. A giant smokey ice wall rolls up, and one of the jerk Thenns from the meeting makes the call to lock a bunch of people outside of the gates of Hardhome to get, like, super nasty killed by... White Walker wights that look like a bunch of skeleton soliders! SKELETON ARMY! IT'S A LITERAL SKELETON ARMY! AAAH I LOVE SKELETONS!  Like a Star @ heaven

So at this point everyone panics and makes for the canoes, and Skeleton Army starts to get over/under/through the flimsy, wooden Hardhome wall, and it's all Epic Battle for, like, the entire back half of the episode. (As an aside, the editing on this fight is terrible and favors repetitive quick cuts that made me feel super motion sick. It's like they have a bunch of students doing their fight choreography/editing this season. But it was still better than the Sand Snakes!) (Also, people seem to be able to kill skeletons with normal swords, and by stepping on their skulls and such. I think there are some white walker echelons I'm forgetting about, or something.)

Karsi helps a bunch of women and old people onto canoes before fighting skeletons like the bamf she is. Jon stays to fight because he's an idiot, so Tormund stays too because he's awesome. Then there's like, four White Walker horsemen in silhouette overlooking the battle, because subtle imagery. A giant (Did I mention there was a giant?) just fully stomps on a bunch of skeletons, and hits them all with a giant, flaming wooden pole from one of the collapsed buildings, and it's pretty fucking satisfying. Some boss-level, beardy White Walker walks through fire/rolls up to fight Jon (Benjen, is that you?!) and everybody's swords shatter like glass against his spear blade - but not Jon's Valyrian steel blade, since it turns out to have the same properties as dragonglass. Whoever would have thought wow did not see that one coming what a twist.

Badass lady Karsi is killed by a bunch of wight children, possibly including her two daughters (or at least a wight that looks a heck of a lot like her eldest), which is LAME. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE ANYTHING NICE THIS SEASON? Jon and Tormund finally get on a canoe the heck out of town just as Hardhome is overrun. The giant just, like, walks after them, out into the sea. I love this giant. The Night's King rolls out to stare at Jon as he sails away, raising the fallen wildlings (INCLUDING MY POOR, LOVELY KATRINE) as wights, all, "Come at me, bro." [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You can tell they really get along.

The episode ends with an overhead shot of Hardhome, mirroring an earlier one showing the wildling numbers upon Jon's arrival. There are... so many. Skeleton Army is huge and every body is doomed, but at least there will be skeletons! I, for one, welcome our Skeleton Army overlords!

Last edited by aesta on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:39 am; edited 3 times in total
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones s5e8 (spoilers) Empty Re: Game of Thrones s5e8 (spoilers)

Post by Aeryl Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:59 am

So, in addition to Theon, Sansa's story is being sacrificed for Bran and Rickon, so she can learn she's NOT the actual Stark heir. *waves pennant weakly* YAY

The battle at Hardhome was great, lots of tension with me screaming "Fire USE FIRE" every few seconds, aside from the fact that they teased me with Karsi(who I thought would be Val) only to kill her off, OFC. Her daughters were not in the group that killed her, she's just susceptible to children's corpses because ladybrainz DUH

Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 am

Aeryl wrote:So, in addition to Theon, Sansa's story is being sacrificed for Bran and Rickon, so she can learn she's NOT the actual Stark heir.  *waves pennant weakly* YAY

I do not know if this makes Sansa's "new" arc more or less awful. Probably more.

Aeryl wrote:The battle at Hardhome was great, lots of tension with me screaming "Fire USE FIRE" every few seconds, aside from the fact that they teased me with Karsi(who I thought would be Val) only to kill her off, OFC.

I hated that whole scene (and yes, I thought she would be Val, too. Dammit). It seemed really contrived, to me.

Aeryl wrote:Her daughters were not in the group that killed her, she's just susceptible to children's corpses because ladybrainz DUH

Yeah, I did not see her daughters there either, but did find the showrunners' "homage" to mother-empathy disturbing.
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 am

aesta wrote: I, for one, welcome our Skeleton Army overlords!

I appreciate your humor Smile

I think I might welcome them, too, after this confused episode with far too many threads that connect ... nothing.

I wish they would get a bit more focus and not try to cram everything into every episode. That is getting wearisome for me, anyway.

And where is Brienne, anyway?

BTW, has everyone here also read the books?
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:27 am

Cat C wrote:BTW, has everyone here also read the books?
I have, though obviously it has been a long while & I am terrible at names!

Aeryl wrote:The battle at Hardhome was great, lots of tension with me screaming "Fire USE FIRE" every few seconds, aside from the fact that they teased me with Karsi(who I thought would be Val) only to kill her off, OFC. Her daughters were not in the group that killed her, she's just susceptible to children's corpses because ladybrainz DUH
Ughh see I am really hoping that is not the case because if so then I'ma hafta rage extra hard.

Here's her daughters:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

& here's a close-up they did on a single member of the Murder Babies, which seemed Significant & looks a lot like her older daughter:
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:25 am

Ugh,I saw the conversation between Dany and Tyrion because a guy thought it's cool to watch a series that advertises viewer discretion,on his laptop in the computer room of a public library.

Oh,and Olly is a character created by D&D to take Satin's storyline who was a male sex worker in the books and a rape victim.Just in case anyone had any doubts left about what D&D are doing

Was there anything about Dorne?

Last edited by littlethingsthatmatter on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

http://www.superheroineworld.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am

littlethingsthatmatter wrote:Was there anything about Dorne?
No Dorne this week, though it was still in the intro.
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Wow,so Dany knows Tyrion for a few hours and she makes him an adviser.That's a very clever decision,I'm sure nothing can go wrong.

I don't know who keeps making these,but I hope they never stop

Last edited by littlethingsthatmatter on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Found this on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].It's a little too big for this forum,but you can check it out on gotgifsandmusings blog.
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff B Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Just saw the episode.

I only sort of liked the Battle at Hardhome.

They just keep doing this thing with their big battle sequences where it's like this super quick thing where it goes: *jump to Wildling #1 getting killed* *jump to Night's Watchmen getting killed* *jump to (etc.)*, and I just think that makes it seem like less of a battle and more like random people getting killed.

There's not many wide shots or overhead shots or things of that nature, which I really like and to me would make it more epic. And the cuts are so quick it's hard to see what's going on a lot of the time, at least for me. I don't know, it was still pretty good I guess. Best part of the episode for me. Probably best thing in the season so far, and it's almost over.

But the problem is everything leaves a bad taste in my mouth now, no matter how good, because of the whole Sansa thing, the deviations/cut plots (I should say that I haven't read the books, but everything I hear about the plots/characterization seems much better there and more interesting), and the overall decline in quality. So it didn't feel as 'fun' for me this time. I'll definitely read the series in between Seasons 5 and 6.

Normally I would stop watching the show at this point, but it's a social thing for me- to watch and discuss the episodes and whatnot. It sucks though, because I used to look forward to GoT, now I just feel uneasy and wary of what D&D are going to mess up next.
Jeff B
Jeff B

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeryl Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:55 pm

For the Sailor, who was on the verge of checking out, it got him back into it. He's intrigued now. He told me, prior to UUU, that he couldn't care about the characters anymore.

Now, how long before the novelty of an unstoppable army that absorbs into it's ranks the bodies of all the fallen wears off? I don't know.
Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Is this the famous battle from episode 8 ?
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm

littlethingsthatmatter wrote:Oh,and Olly is a character created by D&D to take Satin's storyline who was a male sex worker in the books and a rape victim.Just in case anyone had any doubts left about what D&D are doing

Wonder why they took Satin out, hmmm?

Actually, that could explain a lot of just how over-the-top hetero-male they think. I imagine chest-thumping and everything. And yes, I know it's notallmen, just some really clueless people running that show.

BTW, friend told me that the kia reddit did explode over this, they are over there making fun of everyone here, raging about Thenis, about getting censored by TMS for "expressing opposing views" etc.

We are such prudes and misandrists, you know.

/rollseyes
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm

littlethingsthatmatter wrote:Is this the famous battle from episode 8 ?

Vid link is broken for me Sad
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Aeryl wrote:Now, how long before the novelty of an unstoppable army that absorbs into it's ranks the bodies of all the fallen wears off?  I don't know.

Well, it is only a few more episodes ...
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Jeff B wrote:I'll definitely read the series in between Seasons 5 and 6.

I really love the books, but they can get a little convoluted. I think Aeryl said there is a method of reading them posted somewhere that helps. I read them by colorcoding arcs and reading them that way, otherwise would have gotten lost! I thought it was just me and my neuro-atypical brain misfunctioning, but apparently a lot of people have the same issues reading them.
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 pm

aesta wrote:here's a close-up they did on a single member of the Murder Babies, which seemed Significant & looks a lot like her older daughter

Well crap, it does. So they got trapped between the walls and the boats then?

That sucks even more.
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Cat C wrote:
aesta wrote:here's a close-up they did on a single member of the Murder Babies, which seemed Significant & looks a lot like her older daughter

Well crap, it does. So they got trapped between the walls and the boats then?

That sucks even more.
Nah, the map was like: water | boats | lil Hardhome peninsula | wall protecting Hardhome

So, they either went back for her off-screen (they didn't want to leave without her), or the Murder Babies just really, really looked like them, & her kids will be find on Sunday. o-o
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 pm

littlethingsthatmatter wrote:Is this the famous battle from episode 8 ?

Yep!
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat C Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:18 pm

aesta wrote:So, they either went back for her off-screen (they didn't want to leave without her), or the Murder Babies just really, really looked like them, & her kids will be find on Sunday. o-o

Gosh I hope so!
Cat C
Cat C

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeT Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:41 pm

aesta wrote:...or the Murder Babies just really, really looked like them
I'm thinking it's this... I kind of thought the girl was meant to be reminiscent of the one from the 1st episode of S1:
GeorgeT
GeorgeT

ice
dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciella Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:06 am

Cat, there is a read that combines AFFC and ADWD, found at All Leather Must Be Boiled.

For new Readers: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

All the spoilers: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's a pretty welldone system, though unless you use illegal means, it can be frustrating to flip back and forth between books.
Ciella
Ciella

https://www.behance.net/stirvinolady

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 am

GeorgeT wrote:
aesta wrote:...or the Murder Babies just really, really looked like them
I'm thinking it's this... I kind of thought the girl was meant to be reminiscent of the one from the 1st episode of S1:
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about her! That's probably it, then.

Which means Karsi's death was really, really stupid. v___v
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeT Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 am

aesta wrote:Which means Karsi's death was really, really stupid.
Yuuuup.
GeorgeT
GeorgeT

ice
dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:34 am

Cat C wrote:
BTW, friend told me that the kia reddit did explode over this, they are over there making fun of everyone here, raging about Thenis, about getting censored by TMS for "expressing opposing views" etc.

We are such prudes and misandrists, you know.

/rollseyes

Video games now include TV shows,good to know

Here's the link to the video in case id doesn't work: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If it still doesn't work,the title of the video is Jon Snow: A Love story
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum