TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What are you reading? Empty What are you reading?

Post by The Themysciran Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:32 pm

What books are you reading right now?

Right now I'm rereading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin for the unofficial TMS Goodreads book club. I've read it before but it was a few years ago and I read it pretty fast, so it's nice to revisit it and take my time.

I'm also reading The Parable Of The Talents by Octavia Butler. I read Parable Of The Sower years ago so I'm a little fuzzy on what happened in that book, but so far the book does a good job of bringing me up to speed without huge info dumps.
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post by GeorgeT Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:58 pm

I have an unfortunately large pile of unread books stacked up right now. Like, I keep buying things and then not making time to read them and now catching up seems daunting. Last one I bought though was The Girl in the Road [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by Monica Byrne, which I'm probably going to keep at the top of that stack because it looks really good Very Happy
GeorgeT
GeorgeT

ice
dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year now,time to finally read it.
Story: Children born during the night of India's independance have special powers and a telepathic link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Outlander by Diana Gabaddon. It was on display in a bookshop yesterday.

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger.
The story: In the early 19th century, a 14 year old girl gets send to a school to become a proper lady.What her mother doesn't know: the academy doesn't only teach good manners and etiquette,but also espionnage and how to kill
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

http://www.superheroineworld.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Let me know how Etiquette & Espionage turns out! It sounds so cool.

I'm in the middle of a languorous Good Omens (Pratchett & Gaiman) re-read, & just finished up a second run through Wolf in White Van (John Darnielle) before loaning it to a friend.
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:33 pm

At the moment, a novel my girlfriend wrote that she's hoping to submit to a publisher, and one I wrote that I'm rewriting.

I need more time so I can read other peoples books.

Back to top Go down

Post by Servilius Ahala Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Longus' Daphnis and Chloe, because I'm torturing myself writing a romance for my comics (which won't be finished until next century, probably) and am seeking inspirations from a variety of ancient sources.

And all the Runaways!
Servilius Ahala
Servilius Ahala

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeryl Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:54 pm

littlethingsthatmatter, was it you I was talking about the new Carriger series about Alexia's daughter?

I think I'm about to start that.

Other than that, I'm not planning on reading anything new(as in unread by me before). I'm of a limited budget and a terrible library patron, so I spend a lot of time rereading stuff.
Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:36 am

Aeryl, I keep thinking you write for Tor.com from time to time. I know I see you in the comments, but didn't you write something for them before?

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurelinde Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:10 am

I don't read nearly enough books anymore, but I've got 3 Discworlds on my Kindle to re-read on my big trip: Reaper Man, Monstrous Regiment and Small Gods. Can never have too much Discworld.
Laurelinde
Laurelinde
global mod
global mod

dragon
fairy

http://laurelindebear.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:02 am

Aeryl wrote:littlethingsthatmatter, was it you I was talking about the new Carriger series about Alexia's daughter?

I don't think so, I only learned about Carriger a few days ago.
littlethingsthatmatter
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

http://www.superheroineworld.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeryl Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 am

@CainSLatrani, I comment there, but never submitted. I may eventually though

@littlethingsthatmatter

OOOH She's got several series set in that world, the first one she wrote was the Parasol Protectorate, the one your reading now is a prequel to that.
Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by raerae Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:04 pm

My reading list is too big. >_> Currently reading the Log Horizon light novel and Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun.
raerae
raerae

http://raerae.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kinoumenthe Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:29 am

Aeryl, it was me you talked about the new Carriger series about Alexia's daughter. I bought it and it's probably going to get read soon.
I just finished the second novella in The End Of All Thing, This Hollow Union, by Scalzi. (The entire novel is constituted of 4 (… 5 ?) novellas distributed digitally every week, for people who don't want to wait for the complete novel to come out in a month). I'm also reading Goblin War by Jim Hines and I have just started The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley and The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm er… multi-reading Very Happy
kinoumenthe
kinoumenthe

grass
dragon

https://weshallbeheroes.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiazin Red Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:01 am

A Burnable Book

Its a bit like if you took a 30 detective story and put it in 1380s England. You've got a mysterious dead girl, a cynical private investigator, and a shady client (who happens to be Chaucer) looking for stolen property. Said stolen property is a book that supposedly contains prophecies about the death of 13 English kings, including the current one.

Thiazin Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't read many books but, conveniently, you folks are reading both the books I'm currently reading--those being John Darnielle's Wolf In White Van and Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness.

I haven't read much of either so they're just kind of sitting on my bedside table right now, but I intend to finish them eventually.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherrie Ricketts Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey. LOVING these books!

Most everything else right now is comics. I go through phases and this is a comics phase. I'm reading comics daily. Not almost daily, but daily. Thank the universe for Marvel Unlimited.
Sherrie Ricketts
Sherrie Ricketts

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Still trying to finish A Dance With Dragons, then I'll start the first half of Sandman (Have the 1st omnibus for it).
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm

You're in for a treat! Sandman starts off pretty slow but it really starts to pick up by issue seven or so, even by Gaiman's own admission.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:49 pm

I've been putting off reading it for like two years hoping I'd be able to get the 2nd part first, but decided to say "screw it" and make it my next read. Also started American Gods recently.
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by SassyTabby Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:20 am

Just finishing up Signal to Noise, which is an interesting experience (good and bad) to say the least. It tells the story of a programmer in Norway whose father died and is called back by her mother to Mexico City to attend his funeral and go through his estate. This timeline is woven with the teen years of her and her outcast friends who start to dabble into magic created by music to try to improve their lives.
SassyTabby
SassyTabby

water
rock

Back to top Go down

Post by kinoumenthe Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:54 am

I finished The Fifth Season two days ago and now I'm lamenting the hard fact that this is the first book in a (maybe) trilogy and I'll have to wait for the rest.
It's EXTREMELY good.
kinoumenthe
kinoumenthe

grass
dragon

https://weshallbeheroes.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlotte_D Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:49 pm

A while ago, out of morbid curiosity, I read "After" by Anna Todd. It was originally a very popular One Direction fanfic on Wattpad, then got published, with the band member's names changed for obvious reasons.

One of the worst books I've read. Everything about it was questionable from the writing to the underlying values. From a feminist perspective, it was incredibly frustrating and it's so disheartening to know that young girls absolutely eat this story up. It was an emotionally abusive male love interest, it was the stereotypical bitchy girl in competition with her, and there's a terrible plot twist toward the end. A definite rage-read for me. Shrug

Charlotte_D

ice
steel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuuni Nuunani Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:59 am

I picked up ;the league of regrettable superheroes and half baked heroes from comic book history' This is an amazing find. Despite what the name might suggest, its not a list of horrible heroes who are terrible. Its instead a list of characters so crazy and unique, that they didn't work at the time. Some of these are SUPER great finds that are shockingly in the public domain.

Fantomah, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil, Moon Girl, Mother Hubbard, Pat Parker the War Nurse, Spider Queen (Who is a spider-man ripoff from twenty years before Spider-man was published. Complete with web shooters.)

Crazy fun.
Nuuni Nuunani
Nuuni Nuunani

ground

http://greenartfrostmagefire.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiazin Red Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I just finished up The Good House by Tananarive Due, and it was really good. I'll have to add the rest of her stuff to the To Read list.

Thiazin Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiazin Red Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:47 am

I'm a little more than halfway through The Traitor Baru Cormorant. I read an interview with the author who said he was sick of reluctant heroes who come in at the last minute. Baru is anything but reluctant. When an empire takes over her country she decides that the only way to fight back is to work her way into power within the empire and take it down from the inside.

Thiazin Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum