A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A second, superhero-centric roleplaying campaign

Post by Jarrakul on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 pm

This other player is of the opinion that the superhero genre is broad enough to encompass magical girls. I mean, when the big two have actual wizards like Zatanna and Doctor Strange running around, and even the powers that aren't explicitly magic might as well be magic anyway, it seems hard to justify why magical girls would be out of place. Of course our esteemed GM may have other, setting-specific reasons that I'm not aware of, but for my part, I say go for it.

Jarrakul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm

It would depend a lot on the character. If it's something as simple as a magical girl warrior type of character, I'd probably be far more receptive. But if we're pulling in things like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], then this may not be the best platform for that kind of story.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherinethegrape on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Oooooor, we could just break down and play a Magical Girl campaign.
Katherinethegrape
global mod
global mod

fairy
dragon

View user profile http://katherinethegrape.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mandalameg on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 pm

PixelScientist wrote:It would depend a lot on the character. If it's something as simple as a magical girl warrior type of character, I'd probably be far more receptive. But if we're pulling in things like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], then this may not be the best platform for that kind of story.

I really appreciate you putting this group together! After chatting with some others I think I am going to find a game that is a better fit, and give the space to someone else especially since there is a "waiting list" Smile Hope the campaign goes well! New to TMS Treehouse but everyone is lovely so far, so thanks again!
mandalameg

electric
psychic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zanite on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:23 am

Katherinethegrape wrote:Oooooor, we could just break down and play a Magical Girl campaign.

Dibs on the Sailor Mars expy.

I don't really mind the genre really, as long as we have fun.
zanite

water
ghost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:47 am

Katherinethegrape wrote:Oooooor, we could just break down and play a Magical Girl campaign.
If y'all want to do that, then please feel free to make that game. I'm not very familiar with the genre and don't find it very appealing, so I wouldn't be able to lead any roleplay centered on that idea! A large number of people have joined the site after the D&D article over at The Mary Sue; you'd likely be able to find interested bodies here or on the original site by advertising.

It was a pleasure having you, Meg. Good luck in your search!

We now have another opening if anyone else was interested. Also, was there anyone else choosing to leave? I do want a somewhat accurate count to see if I need to find more people. Thank you!

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarrakul on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm still good. I'm interested because I love RPGs, not because of any particular genre. It might be good to know some things about the tone of the world and the heroes in it, though, since I imagine I'm not the only one thinking of character concepts.

For example, what's the relationship between superheroes and law enforcement? Do superheroes and supervillains kill each other? What kinds of things give supers their powers (magic, mutations, radiation, extra-dimensional parasites, any of the above, etc), or if people don't know, what do they know about how people get powers? Roughly how powerful is the average super, say on a scale of Kickass to Superman?

I'm realizing that's a lot of questions. You don't have to answer them all, and you certainly don't have to do so soon, but it would be nice to get a better idea of the kind of world we're gonna be playing in.

Jarrakul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelScientist on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Jarrakul wrote:I'm realizing that's a lot of questions. You don't have to answer them all, and you certainly don't have to do so soon, but it would be nice to get a better idea of the kind of world we're gonna be playing in.
Sure! I can take a moment to explain that.

I was thinking about an alternate universe almost identical to our own where superheroes exist. Initial roleplay will be taking place in the Pacific Northwest and specifically in the city of Seattle in Washington of the United States. I haven't given much thought beyond the first two or three gaming sessions, mostly because I recognize that what I have planned isn't always going to occur as I expect!

When it comes to the legality of superheroes, I'd say that it depends a lot on the government. Since we're focusing on the United States for the time being, I'm going with the idea that it's something determined by state governments rather than federal. They're welcome in some places while reviled in others, and that would depend, too, on the type of superhero and what they do. A superhero that, say, is a vigilante that tries to hold the police accountable for their treatment of unarmed citizens wouldn't be held in high esteem.

With Seattle, I'm going with a wait-and-see approach. The populace is cautiously optimistic. I can imagine a lot of hype during the Emerald City Comic Con held this past March! The Seattle Police Department, however, is very displeased -- especially having been the subject of a recent Justice Department investigation that found that they had engaged in a pattern of constitutional violations in its use of force. Most think that superheroes are trying to do their jobs while feeling frustrated that they're not under the same level of scrutiny.

In terms of the superheroes themselves, I was going to leave it relatively open to player choice -- with the caveat that I'd step if in a character is far too overpowered or unreasonable for the campaign. I personally favor realistic characters that are not exceedingly powerful, but I'm open to other ideas and will work with players if there are concerns. Ideally, no one on the level of, say, Superman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash, or Scarlet Witch. I guess that I want reasonable constraints/weaknesses or powers that won't allow players to snap their fingers to save the day.

For the acquisition of powers, I'm pretty open to most ideas. I'd prefer to avoid the idea of alternate dimensions and aliens for the time being but am comfortable with everything else that you've listed. I'd be more open to a bizarre origin story than I am an obscenely overpowered character.

PixelScientist
admin
admin

ghost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarrakul on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Cool, thanks. That's very helpful, at least for me. I do have a character/power concept that sounds probably in line with what you're going for. Do you want me to run it by you, or is stuff like that better left for when we have a system and can discuss mechanics?

Jarrakul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wyze2099 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:17 pm

For those who want to do a Magical Girl setting, years ago I found this system called Tokyo Heroes, which allows for RPGing in the Magical Girl and Super Sentai genres: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
wyze2099

flying

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mandalameg on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:07 am

wyze2099 wrote:For those who want to do a Magical Girl setting, years ago I found this system called Tokyo Heroes, which allows for RPGing in the Magical Girl and Super Sentai genres: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks very much for sharing!!
mandalameg

electric
psychic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarrakul on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:18 am

Sooo... is there any chance of this still happening, or are we dead in the water? I get that people are busy (I am too), but no activity at all for almost a month isn't exactly encouraging.

Jarrakul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon Borland on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:28 am

From what I know PixelScientist is still researching which rule set they want to use.
Gordon Borland

ghost
fighting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretagentR on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:44 am

I'm still in. I've kept my schedule free, so I'll be available for whenever we start.
SecretagentR

water

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top