Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by The Themysciran on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:59 pm

I think Ravenloft would be a great setting for at least a Halloween campaign.
avatar
The Themysciran
member
member

Posts : 77
Join date : 2015-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by Tony Velez on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 pm

I actually prefer Homebrew settings because they give me more freedom for creativity, but I am fond of Eberron.

Right now, I'm kind of stuck on the idea of running a Feywild campaign though. I know it's not a specific 'setting' per se, but it's my latest obsession.
avatar
Tony Velez
member
member

Posts : 24
Join date : 2015-07-05
Location : Inside my own head, mostly
grass
poison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mysterycycle on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Katrien Caffeine wrote:I've always wanted to play a Planescape campaign, but it's so different from standard Dungeons & Dragons that I've never been able to convince anyone to try it.

I only ever hear good things about Planescape. I actually owned the boxed set once but never really dug into it beyond browsing the Tony DiTerlizzi artwork (which I loved), and ended up selling it in an excess gamebook purge. Kinda regret that.

The Themysciran wrote:I think Ravenloft would be a great setting for at least a Halloween campaign.

That would be fun. I've used Ravenloft adventure material for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay; they translate really well.

Tony Velez wrote:I actually prefer Homebrew settings because they give me more freedom for creativity, but I am fond of Eberron.

Right now, I'm kind of stuck on the idea of running a Feywild campaign though. I know it's not a specific 'setting' per se, but it's my latest obsession.

I've tried Eberron, but for some reason I've never quite been able to get into it. It's weird, because there's so much about it that makes it seem like I should be all over it - flying ships, warforged, post-WWI-style political landscape, pulp/noir feel - but my brain just won't embrace it. Can't put my finger on why.

A Feywild campaign would be pretty cool, and potentially quite trippy.

I was reading over my old FR stuff and got to looking at the Moonshaes supplement. It was one of the first supplements I ever got for FR - mostly because the cover illustration appealed to my fantasy tastes at the time - and after reading it over again, I was struck by how cool a setting it is. Self-contained, with an overarcing threat/situation, and lots of potential subplots/conflict areas, touching on Celtic, Arthurian and Viking myth, while allowing other bits of the Realms to enter in. The Feywild (though of course they didn't call it that back in 1e) would fit into that framework quite easily...
avatar
mysterycycle
member
member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-08-21
Location : Silent Hill, USA
flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by kryptoknight on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:44 pm

Hey guys, so sorry I missed tonight's game. Sad I had some family drop by for an unexpected visit. By the time I finally got them cleared out the game had completely slipped my mind.
avatar
kryptoknight
member
member

Posts : 20
Join date : 2015-07-27
Location : Midwest
fire
psychic

View user profile http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by HarveyT on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:19 am

Actually we weren't able to play tonight
avatar
HarveyT
member
member

Posts : 27
Join date : 2015-05-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by kryptoknight on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:20 am

That'll teach me to read my PMs first before posting. I didn't see The Themysciran's message postponing game night til after I posted. I feel much less guilty now. Smile

Hopefully by next session I can figure out my mic situation. I've tried a couple but they don't seem to work. I'm hoping it's not an issue with the sound card itself.
avatar
kryptoknight
member
member

Posts : 20
Join date : 2015-07-27
Location : Midwest
fire
psychic

View user profile http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by HarveyT on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 am

Hmm couple of questions if you still can't figure it out.
1. Are you using a mic or headphones with a built in mic?
2. Did you download or the necessary drivers?
3. Did you try going to control panel and changing settings in devices?
avatar
HarveyT
member
member

Posts : 27
Join date : 2015-05-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mandalameg on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:19 am

mysterycycle wrote:
Katrien Caffeine wrote:I've always wanted to play a Planescape campaign, but it's so different from standard Dungeons & Dragons that I've never been able to convince anyone to try it.

I only ever hear good things about Planescape. I actually owned the boxed set once but never really dug into it beyond browsing the Tony DiTerlizzi artwork (which I loved), and ended up selling it in an excess gamebook purge. Kinda regret that.

The Themysciran wrote:I think Ravenloft would be a great setting for at least a Halloween campaign.

That would be fun. I've used Ravenloft adventure material for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay; they translate really well.

Tony Velez wrote:I actually prefer Homebrew settings because they give me more freedom for creativity, but I am fond of Eberron.

Right now, I'm kind of stuck on the idea of running a Feywild campaign though. I know it's not a specific 'setting' per se, but it's my latest obsession.

I've tried Eberron, but for some reason I've never quite been able to get into it. It's weird, because there's so much about it that makes it seem like I should be all over it - flying ships, warforged, post-WWI-style political landscape, pulp/noir feel - but my brain just won't embrace it. Can't put my finger on why.

A Feywild campaign would be pretty cool, and potentially quite trippy.

I was reading over my old FR stuff and got to looking at the Moonshaes supplement. It was one of the first supplements I ever got for FR - mostly because the cover illustration appealed to my fantasy tastes at the time - and after reading it over again, I was struck by how cool a setting it is. Self-contained, with an overarcing threat/situation, and lots of potential subplots/conflict areas, touching on Celtic, Arthurian and Viking myth, while allowing other bits of the Realms to enter in. The Feywild (though of course they didn't call it that back in 1e) would fit into that framework quite easily...


I am really new to D&D I am not sure what the differences in campaigns - I am really not picky so I would be up for any of them, count me as a swing vote! But I will do some research today to understand the nuances better. Thanks for setting these up guys! Razz
avatar
mandalameg
member
member

Posts : 15
Join date : 2015-08-19
electric
psychic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mysterycycle on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 pm

I just started a new job (yay, me!), but my work schedule prevents me from DMing Wednesday night Adventurers' League sessions. So, with a heavy heart, I've run my last D&D Encounters event for a while.

The upside of this is that, now that my DMing plate is a bit emptier, I'd be willing to take on a new game, and I'm still very much in the mood for some 5th Edition. I've been thinking about it a lot lately anyway, ever since I first posted in this thread, and I've been tinkering with the Moonshae setting in the Forgotten Realms.

So here's what I've been thinking: I would like to run a one-shot D&D adventure set in Ravenloft, which we would play through October (I expect it would last a couple of sessions). For those of you unfamiliar with it, Ravenloft is a setting that draws upon gothic horror and old monster movie traditions. There are a few modifications it makes to the standard rules (for example, detect evil and good spells don't work), but for the most part, it's designed to allow characters from any setting to arrive in the "Demiplane of Dread."

Then, once we finished that, we could begin a campaign set in Moonshae. Players would be free to either continue playing the PCs they made for the Ravenloft adventure, or, if they wanted, they could create a new character for Moonshae (and I would allow players to transfer experience points to their new characters in this case), who could be from anywhere in the Forgotten Realms. I would put together a brief document to introduce players to the setting.

I would use Google Hangouts to run the game, ideally - it's what I'm most comfortable with and I think it's pretty accommodating (and for those uncomfortable with being on-camera, Hangouts allows you to turn yours off; I never really have mine on, anyway). I might use Roll20 for combats, or I might go full "Theater of the Mind," depending on players' preferences.

I have weekends open; or, alternatively, I could run on a weekday evening after 8:30pm Central Time (1:30am GMT / UTC-5). I would prefer to run two-hour sessions.

Any takers?
avatar
mysterycycle
member
member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-08-21
Location : Silent Hill, USA
flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by Thiazin Red on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:57 am

That time would be good for me. I've never played before, but I've always wanted to.

Thiazin Red
member
member

Posts : 39
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mysterycycle on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Thiazin Red wrote:That time would be good for me. I've never played before, but I've always wanted to.

Awesome. You will be the first on the list. I'm trying to drum up some more interest in a couple of places where I suspect TMS-friendly players will be found, so here's hoping! I'd love to get this going as soon as possible.

I'll try to put together some guidelines over the weekend, but generally speaking, we'll be playing with 1st level characters.
avatar
mysterycycle
member
member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-08-21
Location : Silent Hill, USA
flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by Nocturama on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 am

Hah, I actually saw your post on Maydens of Mayhem and added you to my circles (Anne) - if you are looking for other inclusive spaces, Contessa is also a good community to look for additional players.

Nocturama
member
member

Posts : 49
Join date : 2015-08-01
rock
dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mysterycycle on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Nocturama wrote:Hah, I actually saw your post on Maydens of Mayhem and added you to my circles (Anne) - if you are looking for other inclusive spaces, Contessa is also a good community to look for additional players.

That's a good idea; I was hesitant to post about this there only because ConTessa is specifically for women running games, and I didn't want to intrude on that. But I'll ask and see if they're open to letting me advertise for this.
avatar
mysterycycle
member
member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-08-21
Location : Silent Hill, USA
flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mysterycycle on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Well, unfortunately, aside from Thaizin, I haven't gotten any bites for this game, so unless I hear something back by Friday night, it's looking like it may not happen after all. It's too bad; I was really in the mood to try out Ravenloft this month.
avatar
mysterycycle
member
member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-08-21
Location : Silent Hill, USA
flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by The Themysciran on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Have you seen the spreadsheet I have? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also wouldn't complain if you wanted to take over my group, I kind feel like a bad DM >.< I also have no ideas for what to do after we're finished the adventure.
avatar
The Themysciran
member
member

Posts : 77
Join date : 2015-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by mysterycycle on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:51 pm

The Themysciran wrote:Have you seen the spreadsheet I have?  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VeDxZkqxho26Rm3OyOVN5vt4TkHOqZBD9uCNsFYH1_E/edit?usp=sharing

I did - and thank you for putting that together - but that's why I was surprised not to get any response. I wonder where everyone went! Laughing


I also wouldn't complain if you wanted to take over my group, I kind feel like a bad DM >.<  I also have no ideas for what to do after we're finished the adventure.

I'm sorry you feel that way. (This is the point where your players are all supposed to chime in and say, "No, Themysciran! You're great!") To be honest, I'm not opposed to the idea. My only hesitation is that I wouldn't want to leave Thaizin out in the cold.

When do you usually play?
avatar
mysterycycle
member
member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-08-21
Location : Silent Hill, USA
flying
ghost

View user profile http://mysterycycle.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by The Themysciran on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Honestly I feel like I gotta chase them around in the comment sections because people forget about the Treehouse @_@

We play 8:30pm CT on Saturdays. Kat is on hiatus now because of school so I only have Chris, Harvey and KryptoKnight, so me and Thiazin would make 5 players.

I only had Harvey and Chris tonight, but it was pretty fun. We went back on track with the published adventure which was easier for me, I find when I try my own story my mind just goes blank when I try to improv.
avatar
The Themysciran
member
member

Posts : 77
Join date : 2015-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by Thiazin Red on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 am

Weekend nights don't work for me at all, but if anyone starts one any other time I'd be up for it.

Thiazin Red
member
member

Posts : 39
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum