TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Empty Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by Katrien Caffeine Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Several Mary Sue regulars have voiced interest in a Dungeons & Dragons campaign, so I would like to organize one!

First things first, a quick explanation of the game. Dungeons & Dragons is a roleplaying game--this means that a group of players make characters and go on adventures. The adventures are run by the Dungeon Master, also called the DM. It is the DM's job to make up the stories, control any non-player characters, and to ensure the game runs smoothly.

The core game mechanic is that the DM presents the players with a challenge, and the players role dice to determine whether they succeed or fail at the task at hand. This simple mechanic covers everything from combat to diplomacy to exploration. If there is a significant chance of failure, a die roll can be used to determine the outcome. Otherwise, the players are free to take on the challenges however they want.

First things first, we need to know who's interested. Here's the list I have so far:

• Aeryl
  • aesta
  • Buxnalaus
  • Ducksauce
  • HarveyT
  • KatherineTheGrape
  • Kryptoknight
  • Lapin
  • Laurelinde
  • Nessie Clément
  • Scarlet Sasquatch
  • Secretagentr
  • Snow Monet
  • The Themysciran
  • Tony Velez
  • Wonder Cube

Please comment here or on my Things We Saw Today post to be added to the list. I am only adding people who directly comment on either of those places so please post if you haven't!

You don't have to play just because you're on the list, but I want to know how big I should plan this. It's possible we could end up with two groups if interest is high enough. It also might be useful to split campaigns by time zones if there are conflicts.

Now, we have to decide on a few things and I would like to hear what people are interested in...

First, we need to decide which edition to play. I would suggest we play 5th Edition as it is simpler than previous editions while maintaining the classic D&D spirit. The basic rules are also freely available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Otherwise, we can play whichever edition is most requested.

Second, we need to determine when we would like to play. I would suggest sometime over the weekend but it is open to discussion. Additionally, it would be important to know everyone's time zone so we can discuss the time of day to play the game. Please post what time and day of the week works best for you. Include the time zone or I will assume you are referring to Central Time for sake of convenience.

Third, we need to find someone interested in being the DM. I have DM'ed in the past but have significant trouble running games smoothly, especially online. If anyone is interested in being DM, please mention this here.

We will move into details such as character creation when we have answers to these questions and decide on a definite group of players for the campaign.

Hopefully, we can get a full campaign going! Very Happy

This post will be updated as more information comes in...

Last edited by Katrien Caffeine on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 7 times in total
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

http://katrien-caffeine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Empty Re: Dungeons & Dragons Campaign

Post by The Themysciran Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I have never DM'ed before, but I volunteer as tribute if no one else is interested. I'd rather stick with a published adventure rather than coming up with something myself though.
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlet Sasquatch Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:18 pm

100% interested and I will make time for this, even if it requires being up at ridiculous hours or something.

My work schedule is different every week, so I can't actually guarantee any times, but I'd go out of my way to try and make it work.  I really wanna do this.

I'm actually gonna start working on a fifth edition character right now just to get into the right mindset.

Last edited by Scarlet Sasquatch on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scarlet Sasquatch
Scarlet Sasquatch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Well that's eight people so far so we can definitely split up in groups, maybe one for people with a set schedule and another for people who's times might change week to week?
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciella Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Not sure I wanna jump into a second campaign right now, but maybe down the line. But, the one I'm playing right now we're doing online through Roll20 and I honestly can't reccomend it enough for online play. It can take a little getting used to, but saves you soooooo much time on math and looking up what powers you have, etc. We also do general roleplaying (just character stuff, no combat or anything) through the facebook messenger app. The DM rolls dice for anything like investigation checks, etc on their end, and it's been uber fun to be a half-elf rogue while also working Wink
Ciella
Ciella

https://www.behance.net/stirvinolady

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:40 pm

The Themysciran wrote:Well that's eight people so far so we can definitely split up in groups, maybe one for people with a set schedule and another for people who's times might change week to week?  

I think it would make the most sense to keep set schedules for both groups. That way people could divide into the group that fits their schedule without trying to find a new time every week.

That said, if one of the groups decides to do that, that's fine too--just seems like a hassle to me. Neutral
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 pm

I'd love to play! I work weekends until 6pm pst, so timing might be tough. >__< If there's enough interest for a weird work schedule/timezone group to play at a more casual pace, that would be awesome!
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlet Sasquatch Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Set schedules are really tricky for me, so more of a casual pace would be best for whatever group I'm in.

Also I can't find specific class info on the internet for fifth edition...
Scarlet Sasquatch
Scarlet Sasquatch

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Work times are weird for me as they are up to the discrepancy of my manager, but usually free after 8pm Est Fridays, 10pm Est Saturdays, and 9pm Est Sundays.
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by DuckSauce Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Perth Time is similar to Hong Kong Time. I think 6pm CST is 7am here the next day.

I'm happy with 5th Ed and am willing to have an early start. I'd also prefer we have a set day. Also super pumped for this I haven't had a chance to run a PC in ages.

DuckSauce

Back to top Go down

Post by The Themysciran Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Would you guys be okay if my bf played too? He's a lot more familiar with the system so if I DM I'm probably going to have to take "smoke breaks" where I consult him anyway, it'll probably be more streamlined if he's sitting next to me participating XD

He's very nice and a very experienced tabletop player, he's just sadly forever DM.

We're CST, btw.
The Themysciran
The Themysciran

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I would be fine with that. I'm going to count him as in, unless anyone has any objections.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Velez Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:00 pm

I don't mind 5E. I'm Atlantic Standard time. GMT, to be precise. Though there's a chance that'll change if/when I move to China (which should be by late August.)

Like the others, my work schedule is a little wonky. So I really can't guarantee a set time. That, and I'm participating in two other campaigns right now. Sundays seem to be the best day for me at the moment.

I've never DM'd a 5E campaign, but I do have some okay-ish experience with 4E. If you need any help/advice with something, The Themysciran, feel free to contact me. I also have a ridiculously expansive and detailed Homebrewed campaign setting ready to go, if anyone is interested.

And Scarlet Sasquatch, I have a PDF of the 5E Player's Handbook and a digital character sheet you can edit. If you want it, it's yours.
Tony Velez
Tony Velez

grass
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlet Sasquatch Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 pm

I actually have a digital character sheet, but a player's handbook would be much appreciated! I hope it's not too much trouble though.
Scarlet Sasquatch
Scarlet Sasquatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Velez Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:12 pm

It's no problem at all. Just message me an e-mail address I can forward it to.
Tony Velez
Tony Velez

grass
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlet Sasquatch Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Done, and thanks again!
Scarlet Sasquatch
Scarlet Sasquatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurelinde Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 am

I am tentatively interested, but I'm on GMT so I don't know how viable it would be. Would this be played over Mumble/Ventrilo/Teamspeak kind of thing or would it be text-based? I'm also not familiar with D&D 5; I'm more familiar with 2 and 3(.5?) and Pathfinder but I expect I could pick it up.

If it's useful, my friends and I use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as our online dice room - you can password protect it and it saves your rolls and stuff.
Laurelinde
Laurelinde
global mod
global mod

dragon
fairy

http://laurelindebear.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:09 am

That's not really decided yet. We should probably think about that...

I was planning on using Roll20, but the chat is up to whatever folks are most comfortable with. Roll20 has built in chat features, or we could use Skype, or any of the ones you recommended. I don't ever use chat programs so I don't know which one would work best for us.

Does anyone know which program would work best for us? Both in terms of use and privacy if anyone doesn't want their face on the internet.
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

Back to top Go down

Post by HarveyT Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:34 pm

I do know that Skype, and oovoo both allow you to use didn't either voice, or voice and video, up to the discretion of each person. Not sure about the other ones.
HarveyT
HarveyT

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeryl Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Oh, I'm totally in if we can work this out. Eastern Time, never played 5 th edition, the last time I played was 3.5 I think.

I was a rogue nicknamed Buzzsaw by my table mates.
Aeryl
Aeryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlet Sasquatch Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Voice chat is a maybe, but I'm not sure I'm okay with anything more. At least, not most of the time since on some days I might be okay with how my face looks. I get that voice chat might be kind of important though so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Scarlet Sasquatch
Scarlet Sasquatch

Back to top Go down

Post by kryptoknight Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Greetings programs!

I'm on Central Time myself.  I don't really know what time would work best for me yet.  I work from 3 or 4PM til 11 or Midnight Sun-Thurs and within the next couple of weeks classes start back up so my weekday daytime hours will be sort of busy as well.

I have a bunch of experience in 3.5 but would gladly try a newer system.  I've heard Bards got a nice overhaul in 5e and I like the idea of the advantage/disadvantage mechanic.
kryptoknight
kryptoknight

fire
psychic

http://kryptoknight01.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buxnalaus Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm on GMT time, but tend to be an insane night owl, so I'd probably be okay with whatever time we set up.
As for editions, I'm familiar with 3.5 and 4, but I can get my hands on a 5th edition book and could probably pick it up quickly, so consider me flexible there, too.
As far as a chat program, I vote for something with the option of text. I'm totally down with voice chat and am willing to bust out my mic to get involved, but try to be considerate of my roommate and predict that there are going to be times when she doesn't want to put up with me yelling, "I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!!"

...I promise not to actually yell, "I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!!"
Buxnalaus
Buxnalaus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciella Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Just as an FYI, Roll20's chat system allows text chat, voice chat and videochat, as well as any combination of those three. It does have some problem with large groups though (maybe 7+). Roll20 also has an option to do the audio/visual chat portion through Google+. This handles larger groups much better, but you have to have a google+ account and the screen opens up inside of the google+ screen, so it's slightly smaller.
Ciella
Ciella

https://www.behance.net/stirvinolady

Back to top Go down

Post by Katrien Caffeine Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Tony Velez wrote:I'm Atlantic Standard time. GMT, to be precise.

Um, I'm not good with time zones so correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't those two different time zones? Shocked

I guess, if I was to divide us into two campaigns, one centered around Central Standard Time and the other around Greenwhich Mean Time, would you be in the latter? Because I think I might do that. We almost have enough GMT players (though they still need a DM). ETA: Okay, I looked into it and it seems your timezone is similar to EDT, right?

How do you folks feel about that? Should we split the campaigns based on time zones? Or should we just fudge with the hours until we find a time that works? I'm okay with either but I will need help coming up with a convenient time if we're going to do the latter.

Last edited by Katrien Caffeine on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Katrien Caffeine
Katrien Caffeine

psychic
water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top