TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feedback on my Webcomic?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feedback on my Webcomic? Empty Feedback on my Webcomic?

Post by HarrisonGrey Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

So I've got a graphic novel style webcomic about luchadors (called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) that's been slowly improving for the last two and a half years.  Anyone want to check it out and give me some feedback?  I'm about two or three pages away from finishing Book Two after which I'll be taking a brief sabbatical to plan out Book Three.  I thought this was a good time to look for some suggestions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
These are the characters (from left to right): Pescado, Sol, Vellon, Tacto, Maiz.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Here's a random background.  Don't get to excited, it's not usually this good.

Thoughts, suggestions?
HarrisonGrey
HarrisonGrey

bug
ghost

http://luchaquest.net/home

Back to top Go down

Feedback on my Webcomic? Empty Re: Feedback on my Webcomic?

Post by raerae Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Okay, I took a look at your comic. First off, good job! You're making good headway and you've gotten a lot further than other webcomic creators!

Paneling: You're taking a lot of risks in paneling, and I think it works pretty well. My main concern isn't the paneling itself but the color of your background that bleeds into the gutters, especially since it's such a vibrant color, it tends to be distracting and that distraction can also affect pacing as the space between panels can indicate time(see this resource on how panels affect perception, and that's just in lack and white: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

I think your figures generally work, as you have a sense of body language and personality. I do think they could interact with their environment more...that might actually get you more interested in drawing backgrounds as well! Think of how much you interact with your surroundings and think of your characters doing so. In this manner, the environment can be a character in itself. This is just advice from someone who's first comic had everyone floating in the Gradient Abyss of Doom. >>;

I think something that could help your comic as well is strengthening your shading. Right now your comic tends to be colored with darker versions of the color, regardless of where they are. Changing the color of the shadows even slightly can help give a better sense of lighting and sense of place(tending towards dark blues can give a sense of darkness for example). If you'd like a visual example, I could try to provide one! If your current program doesn't have a capability like multiply, which would make that process easier, there are a lot of good free options these days like Krita.

Sorry if I'm longwinded or seem nitpicky. XD; It's been a while since I critiqued a webcomic, but I used to do it a lot.
raerae
raerae

http://raerae.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HarrisonGrey Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:05 pm

Thank you, those are some good critiques. I need to hear stuff like that.

Do you have any particular suggestions on how to lessen distractions using the colored backgrounds (like would just a duller shade help)? Also, what time of day did you happen to visit? Because it's on a timer and the background colors change over the day.

Shading is one of the areas I'm working on improving right now; do you happen to have any resources or tutorials on that subject, I pretty much don't know what I'm doing in that regard. I'm using GIMP which does have options for multiply, but I've mostly stuck with the burn and dodge tool for shadowing and highlighting (which I hear is an artistic no-no, but again, no idea what I'm doing).
HarrisonGrey
HarrisonGrey

bug
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by raerae Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:00 am

It was a sunset when I visited. I think that's a cool feature, but it might be best to put a solid neutral color behind the comic itself. Decreasing the saturation might help somewhat, but it may still be distracting.

Anyway, here's some resources on shading and color theory! The color theory part makes it a bit easier to choose the color of the shadows.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raerae
raerae

http://raerae.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HarrisonGrey Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:51 am

Thank you for the suggestions, these are very helpful. I'll be looking to implement these a whole lot more going into Book 3.
HarrisonGrey
HarrisonGrey

bug
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by HarrisonGrey Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:56 am

Well, Book 3 has officially begun over on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. You can also read the comic on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if you'd prefer.

Book 3 focuses on Maiz, the corn based luchador girl on the main team. I've got some big stories coming up, so keep an eye out.
HarrisonGrey
HarrisonGrey

bug
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum