This article on liberal students has been making it's way around...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This article on liberal students has been making it's way around...

Post by raerae on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What do you guys think? Personally, I think this professor is trying to address two issues and failing to focus on one. The consumer-based customer service way of dealing with student complaints is a legitimate issue. Having to be 'too' PC, though, I don't believe he wrote convincingly about. I mean, getting upset over trigger warnings?

I think this is a decent rebuttal:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raerae

View user profile http://raerae.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: This article on liberal students has been making it's way around...

Post by Cat C on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:48 am

That rebuttal is near-perfect, and I agree with the author on most points. I work as an "Adjunct" and "Instructor" -and the things you are reading here are all too true. Both of them.

One thing I had to keep telling myself as I read Schlosser's piece is that he, by his own admission of his places in the world, is coming from a place much more privileged than most educators and is writing from that perspective. He has some decent points, but also exhibits some real disconnect from issues, likely because he has not experienced or witnessed them personally, nor has empathy due to that set of privileges. And yes, Schlosser doesn't understand triggers. At all.

ETA: I have been threatened on occasion by conservative students, two of the worst were "gonna be braking your legs", and another one threatened with rape. Both threats were for teaching sociological theory, which includes ideas and theory that counters their own beliefs, even though I taught those theories too. Not to fret though, because both of those students faced suspension, and hopefully never became the law enforcement officers they aspired to be.

Last edited by Cat C on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too many typos, and an addendum.)
Cat C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 am

That article sounds like it was written by a sock puppet. Good rebuttal.

"As I wrote then, he ignored the fact that it’s not just liberals who get criticized, it’s conservatives, and that there are huge conservative forces being applied to the educational system — to complain about some kind of vague excess of liberalism when the real threat is well-monied, fanatical conservatives is absurd."
^Thiiiiiiiiis especially. What's happening to the UNC system is particularly scary, or maybe just to me because I'm from there. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:57 am

Cat C wrote:ETA: I have been threatened on occasion by conservative students, two of the worst were "gonna be braking your legs", and another one threatened with rape. Both threats were for teaching sociological theory, which includes ideas and theory that counters their own beliefs, even though I taught those theories too. Not to fret though, because both of those students faced suspension, and hopefully never became the law enforcement officers they aspired to be.
O____O
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raerae on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:01 am

Cat C wrote:That rebuttal is near-perfect, and I agree with the author on most points. I work as an "Adjunct" and "Instructor" -and the things you are reading here are all too true. Both of them.

One thing I had to keep telling myself as I read Schlosser's piece is that he, by his own admission of his places in the world, is coming from a place much more privileged than most educators and is writing from that perspective. He has some decent points, but also exhibits some real disconnect from issues, likely because he has not experienced or witnessed them personally, nor has empathy due to that set of privileges. And yes, Schlosser doesn't understand triggers. At all.

ETA: I have been threatened on occasion by conservative students, two of the worst were "gonna be braking your legs", and another one threatened with rape. Both threats were for teaching sociological theory, which includes ideas and theory that counters their own beliefs, even though I taught those theories too. Not to fret though, because both of those students faced suspension, and hopefully never became the law enforcement officers they aspired to be.
There was actually a flyer posted last semester at the college I attend inviting students to go to one Women's Studies instructor's home and gang rape her in an attempt to get her to cancel her lecture on masculinity in superhero comics. The police were investigating and she did her lecture anyway.
raerae

View user profile http://raerae.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Servilius Ahala on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:33 am

Cat C wrote:ETA: I have been threatened on occasion by conservative students, two of the worst were "gonna be braking your legs", and another one threatened with rape. Both threats were for teaching sociological theory, which includes ideas and theory that counters their own beliefs, even though I taught those theories too. Not to fret though, because both of those students faced suspension, and hopefully never became the law enforcement officers they aspired to be.

Shocked

Wow. One more reason why I can't be a teacher: if a student says that to me, I'll most likely defenestrate them, which is gonna get me fired and arrested.
Servilius Ahala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlethingsthatmatter on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 pm

I can't remember my social psychology professor giving trigger warnings before making us watch the documentary The Game of Death and have us write a paper about it that she ended up ignoring.
The best part: during her next lecture after the film,she talked about how every year,there are students who leave the room crying and there was a student who questionned this.Apparently it's unbelievebale that someone who grew up in an abusive environment could be triggered by a 2 hour "let's do Milgram but like on live tv this time and see if people would torture a guy to dead on a game show" science experiment.
littlethingsthatmatter

dark

View user profile http://www.superheroineworld.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SassyTabby on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Cat C wrote:

Wow, what you and other professors/instructors have to deal with is just incredible Sad
SassyTabby

water
rock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top