TMS Treehouse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wireless Card Recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wireless Card Recommendations? Empty Wireless Card Recommendations?

Post by wondercube Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:47 am

Hello, all!

I built my own desktop almost a year ago in order to play DA: Inquisition, and it's served me pretty well. My current problem (for several months actually) has been my desktop's inability to maintain a wireless connection. At first I thought it was just bad signal strength, but I've found that my laptop/phone/PS3 have relatively little trouble connecting/maintaining the signal and can download without problems.

The only conclusion is that my wireless card isn't working. I've scanned the computer with a few different malware/virus scanners and they come up blank. So I'm at a loss, and wondering if I should just buy a new wireless card. This is the one I'm using (I think, need to confirm once I'm home): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It was pretty highly rated, maybe I just got a bum card? It plugs in to the computer through USB, so I don't know if there are common issues with that or not. This was my first experience building a computer, and I'm not super savvy regarding the tech world. I literally built the computer using online tutorials and gumption haha.

If any of you have recommendations or solutions, I'd love to hear them. I'm getting really distressed/upset, since I virtually can't use the desktop I spent all that money to build without an internet connection. Can't update or download games or surf the web.

Last edited by wondercube on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Wireless Card Recommendations? Empty Re: Wireless Card Recommendations?

Post by wondercube Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:01 am

An update -

I went ahead and bought an internal wireless card recommended to me by the guy at my local parts store, but after much toiling I haven't been able to get it to work.

Here's the part I got: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can't seem to get the drivers to install correctly. I plugged the hardware in just fine, but the motherboard or whatever isn't recognizing it. I tried downloading the drivers manually and installing that way, didn't work. Burned the install CD to a USB and tried that, didn't work. With windows 8.1, the computer either crashes with the software install, or it does nothing whatsoever.

At this point I'm ready to just take it to someone and give them all my money cause I just want a functioning desktop. -____-
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherinethegrape Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 am

Try running the installer as an administrator. That might help the crashing thing.

ETA: Also, make sure you're downloading the right driver. If you're running the 32 bit OS Of Win8, you'll need that version, and alternatively, if you're running the 64 bit, run that.

Also. Try upgrading to Win10, because Win 8 sucks. Very Happy
Katherinethegrape
Katherinethegrape
global mod
global mod

fairy
dragon

http://katherinethegrape.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Is 10 any goooood? How is it for games? I feel like I keep hearing that 10 in dumb, but I'm not sure if people are actually saying that or if I've fabricated it in my mind.

That would wipe things clean for a fresh start, at least. Though I don't relish the idea of reinstalling/downloading everything. All those games.

Weirdly enough, I'm running an 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, but when I go view my program files it says (x86), which is indicative of 32-bit hardware, isn't it?

Does that mean I installed the wrong bit-size OS on my computer? And would that effect drivers working properly?
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherinethegrape Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Naw. If you've got a Program Files (x86) folder then you've got a 64 bit version. The 32 bit version only has the one Program Files location. Basically, not every program is written in 64 bits, so the ones that aren't are stuffed in the x86 folder.

As for 10, I've been running it for a while now, and it's better for gaming than 7 was. The UI is closer to 7, so all that Win8 tile crap is gone or hidden. You can also do a direct upgrade from 8 to 10 without having to reinstall, so you won't lose all your crap.
Katherinethegrape
Katherinethegrape
global mod
global mod

fairy
dragon

http://katherinethegrape.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aesta Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:14 pm

My brother's a heavy PC gamer. He loves Win 10 so far, mostly due to the speedy boot time. I haven't heard any major complaints.

I'd also recommend scoping out /r/buildapc. There is so much knowledge in that sub, if you can get past, y'know, reddit. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a thread with someone troubleshooting your same Asus card for lag spikes & a low signal, in case you run into that once the drivers start happening.
aesta
aesta
admin
admin

psychic
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 pm

You are both angels and I love you both.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by wondercube Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:05 am

Well I seem to have resolved the issue! I uninstalled the drivers for my old wireless card and then uninstalled/reinstalled the new drivers. That seemed to get it up and working fairly quickly. The connection strength hasn't been perfect, but at least it's working. I'll give it some time. For the most it's connecting, but sometimes it gets really slow. It lost it's steam connection partway through a gauntlet level and booted me from my party. -_____-

But it downloaded the dlc for DAI rather fast so idk. It's up and running at least, so I'll deal with issues as they arise.
wondercube
wondercube

fairy
poison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum